Beetle Saturn

Please do something for Beetle Saturn, or bring SSF to Retroarch!

SSF is closed source so nobody can port it

What’s wrong with Beetle Saturn though? It’s at a good state.

I don’t know if people around here noticed but the SSF Saturn Emulator went Open Source a while ago. There is even an Android port now. I can provide the link to the github if people are interested. In my opinion this emulator would be a perfect match for a libretro port as it performs amazingly well on older hardware. Something the other Saturn cores cant deliver at the moment. Saturn Emulation (on my old laptop) is more demanding than Gamecube and Dreamcast Emulation on Retroarch and I feel that SSF could close this gap nicely. Unfortunately i cannot create a new thread for a proper request but maybe enough people will notice this way as well. Cheers

1 Like

Feel free to post it for future reference, the only SSF repo i found didn’t have any source code.

This is the official SSF Github Repo, he keeps posting preview versions once in a while, source was released in 2021. You can find it when clicking on “Assets”:

This is the developers twitter account for anyone interested in following his progress: https://twitter.com/FessX

There’s no source code there. The source bundles in the ‘assets’ are empty.

I think Shima uploaded SSF’s source code at that git resource for a very short while before removing it (I may be wrong), and remember reading the reason it was removed was due to him being reached out to make custom builds so the upcoming Saturn Tribute games on Switch could materialize.

While Android builds seem to be available for a few years now, it’s hard to come by Youtube videos showing it actually working and it’s not simple to install it like a simple APK sideloading, it could become the best Saturn Android emulator as even early 2010 laptops could run it easily but the way it’s available now, it’s way too convoluted to get it working, I think you even have to enable USB debugging to install the emulator.

@SuperS That’s the repo with no source code i was talking about

Sorry guys for the confusion. I stand corrected! After some digging around I found exactly the same answer aoron1 just gave. The source was online for a very short time and was removed again. What a pity. I played the saturn ports on nintendo switch that use his emulator as a base. Its such a flawless experience on this underpowered device. Would it be legal to use his source code if someone happened to back it up back in the day?

1 Like

That depends on what license was applied to the code. If it’s an open license, it could be ported. Even if it was available, if the license was restrictive (or no license given at all), we can’t touch it.

2 Likes