Beginner Questions: Using a controller and saving games

Hey, if I want to use a bluetooth controller what are the basics of setting it up, so I don’t have to use the touchscreen almost at all? And how do I save my games so I can resume and load them like on a real Gameboy, on a game such as Pokemon Sapphire.

Depending on your controller, just connect it via Bluetooth and then launch RetroArch and it should pick it up and autoconfigure it. If it doesn’t recognize it, you’ll have to bind your inputs after launching. I recommend changing the overly in settings > onscreen overlay to the ‘immerse’ overlay, which is invisible by default but brings up some handy menu stuff when you tap anywhere on the screen.

To save, make sure your save directory (in settings > directory settings) is somewhere RetroArch can write to and then use the in-game save points. Just make sure you exit using the ‘quit retroarch’ option from the menu or enable the sram autowrite option so that the saves will actually be written (that never happens if you just leave with the home button and/or kill the app).

[QUOTE=hunterk;28344]Depending on your controller, just connect it via Bluetooth and then launch RetroArch and it should pick it up and autoconfigure it. If it doesn’t recognize it, you’ll have to bind your inputs after launching. I recommend changing the overly in settings > onscreen overlay to the ‘immerse’ overlay, which is invisible by default but brings up some handy menu stuff when you tap anywhere on the screen.

To save, make sure your save directory (in settings > directory settings) is somewhere RetroArch can write to and then use the in-game save points. Just make sure you exit using the ‘quit retroarch’ option from the menu or enable the sram autowrite option so that the saves will actually be written (that never happens if you just leave with the home button and/or kill the app).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton, will test soon and get back to you!

Thanks! So I got it to work on a MOGA Pocket controller, how do I change the binding around? and I couldn’t actually find the immerse overlay. How do I do that?

Edit: Found Immerse, and discovered how to change the bindings. But they won’t save when I restart the app.

You’ll need to use the online updater to update the overlays. That will give you all of them, including the immerse one.

If your buttons are mapped properly with the moga (e.g., start is on start, the dpad works, etc.) and you just want to move them around for certain cores (like genesis plus gx), use the core input remapping feature, when available. It will let you move the cores buttons around as you see fit without messing it up for other cores and/or the menu.

Thanks for the help! Last set of problem for ya. So I can’t get the new button configs to save. After I leave the app and start back up, I have to map all the buttons again. And how do I delete a core? I haven’t been able to find where the cores are stored to delete em.

Oh wait one more, I can’t seem to figure how to navigate to my SD card when loading content. Any tips? Seriously, thank’s for the help and sorry for being a noob!

You need to exit using QUIT RETROARch

Can’t just close it? Is there a way to “save” my setup?

yes, select QUIT RETROARCH in both menus

The cores are typically stored in /data/data/com.retroach/cores (or something like that) and need root to delete. You can go into your phone’s settings and then delete all of the app data through there, but that will get rid of everything, not just cores.

For the SD card, you can set your ‘file browser dir’ in settings > directory settings, but if it still won’t cooperate, you may be running into some weird security stuff that Google forced on everyone in recent android versions where apps can’t access external storage.

What’s it mean to need Root to delete?

Your device needs to be rooted. The libraries are stored in a directory that’s not accessible without elevated privileges.