Best controller?

So what do people think is best controller to use with RetroArch? I have an I-Pac 2 and works fine with most systems with dual sticks. I am thinking about adding wireless option to my cabinet for systems that just don’t work well with arcade controls.

What do people think is best options?

Also would like 2 so have 2 player option.

I really like the overall compatibility of the Hori Pad EX2. It has dual sticks, 6 buttons on the main rows (for Sega’s 16 and 32-bit systems), Analog triggers (L2, R2). The only “problem” is that it is wired.

Since the Xbox 360 has a shitty d-pad, your best options if you are looking for gamepads may be the Logitech F710 (the d-pad is a bit weird, but works fine)

I use a playstation 3 controller. Really like the Xbox360 pad, only the d-pad is horrible. It barely even works. And because of that I rarely use the xbox360 controller, which is a shame, because the rest of it feels so good. I also have a logitech f310, but I a : Prefer the Playstation 3 controller and b: I’ve heard that one has deadzone issues in the analog stick.

For 2d games - a usb saturn pad coz it has the best d-pad available.

The usb saturn pads I bought were not resistant, and died before two months.

My F310 died just after 1 year, d-pad direction stuck. I opened it, the plastic for the d-pad with the sensors fell apart… 3 sensors little circles on the floor. What a great plastic quality… The analog part, buttons and sticks where a joke.

Bought a xbox 360 pad as nothing particularly caught my eyes. I had to fix the d-pad as soon as I 1st tested it, what an abomination. Made something along this lines. Now I can play some fighting games with that at least. The buttons are annoyingly hard to play shmups. They push up against your thumb when you press them down for a long time. The analog is better than the F310 though.

The lack of a really great pad for PC is baffling.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27257]My F310 died just after 1 year, d-pad direction stuck. I opened it, the plastic for the d-pad with the sensors fell apart… 3 sensors little circles on the floor. What a great plastic quality… The analog part, buttons and sticks where a joke.

Bought a xbox 360 pad as nothing particularly caught my eyes. I had to fix the d-pad as soon as I 1st tested it, what an abomination. Made something along this lines. Now I can play some fighting games with that at least. The buttons are annoyingly hard to play shmups. They push up against your thumb when you press them down for a long time. The analog is better than the F310 though.

The lack of a really great pad for PC is baffling.[/QUOTE]

Can confirm the F310 thing, they break easily over time.

Xbox 360 pad is horrible and barely functional. The rest of the controller is great, but the D-Pad ruins it entirely.

I’m using my PS3 controller with Xinput Wrapper (although I think Retroarch supports it without having to install any drivers), and it works really well but it just could be better you know?

I wish I could have a 360 pad with a fixed D-pad. I thought the xbox one controller would be that, but it wasn’t.

I use an Xbox one controller, and if the D-pad is not excellent, it’s still decent.

Logitech did some great peripheral before. The RumblePad 2 was quite great and lasted a long time. But now they are like your average chinese low quality manufacturer.

I wish more makers would try to make a better D-Pad, like Logitech did with this “spring system”, or like the Neo-Geo joypad (I didn’t like it but it was something interesting). Instead we see the same low quality plastic build with some gimmicks and an outrageous price. (like the Mad Catz Pro circuit)

I still have this one which was a really nice concept. Would be amazing with a better D-Pad and some little alterations.

Some people with the prototype Steam controller have said the left haptic pad can work well as a Dpad even in fighting games. I’m looking forward to trying it out as the Dpad on my Wii U Pro controller is so stiff I often use the analog stick for control so my thumb doesn’t ache after playing.

For those who want to play some fighting games, but also have analog sticks on a gamepad, a good option are the ones by Hori. The latest ones don’t have analog triggers AFAIK (L2/R2) tho. But they are cheap!

The one I mentioned above was this one:

The D-pad is almost as good as the one on Saturn’s or Mega Drive’s 6bt gamepads (or NGCD’s).

On Linux?

A Wii-U Pro controller, without an adapter, connected over Bluetooth. Works great on an up-to-date Linux system (kernel 4.x, Bluetooth 5.x).

A HORI Fighting Commander 4 when I need the 6-button layout.

For older 2D games I I usually go with the Saturn pads. Screw the dpad. It’s the six face buttons that I go for. Once I need an analogue stick I go with the Xbox one controllers. That’s a real dpad.

I just wish they’d make one with all the modern setup of an x1 controller but with REAL z/c buttons. Not relocated bumpers or something. I’d pay good money for that.

You know, you have access to 8 button inputs at once without relocating your thumbs or fingers with the Elite controller. Dedicated fingers for four paddles, thumb over two face buttons you can heel-toe to hit either and pointer fingers resting on the bumpers or triggers. The paddles can’t be extra inputs, but you can assign them to the two face buttons your thumb doesn’t rest on (Y and B) and either the bumpers or triggers depending on what you like using better. Or even have two of them be L3 and R3, which is almost like getting two extra inputs. It takes some time to get the muscle memory down to get used to the paddles, but they’re very responsive and more comfortably placed that two rows of three buttons.

The idea though is to have an all in one kind of controller.

You see, with all the buttons of an X360/PS3 controller, plus a Z&C button, you can map any mainstream controller with 0 changes regarding physical placement of the buttons. Particularly in regards to Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 (often overlooked as the 6-button controller that it is)

It would instantly adapt to everything from NES, to PS2 with complete ease, every button would be placed just as it was with each system

I thought I found one with the Sabrent 12-button controller, but it turns out they just moved start and select to z/c. Really stupid.

I use the original controllers for each system. Costs a bit more than a single controller solution and takes up a bit more room around my emulation box, but I really like the authenticity of it. I have all the controllers hooked up at the same time so switching is pretty seamless. The controllers themselves vary in price of course, but if I had to pick one I’d go with either Saturn or SNES. The Saturn adapter is handy because it also supports a PS2 controller so you can have one controller with god level D-pad and one with analogs when needed. It also supports N64 which is handy because that controller layout is kind of a pain to replicate. Haven’t had a single problem with either of these adapters through Linux, Raspberry Pi, or any version of Windows.

http://www.amazon.com/TOTALCONSOLE-Super-Famicom-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00HZWINQY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459588728&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=mayflash+snes+genesis

After many test with different pads, finally i decide to use the Seaman PS2 pad. Incredible good D-pad, 6 front buttons, two triggers, select/start, the mode button is easy to mod to use like a regular extra button, microphone, one stick, and is USB… and is cheap

^^^ I want this. So bad.

Currently using NES30 by 8bitdo. Love the controller so far albeit the hassle to properly set it up in Windows.

I’m currently trying out the Steam Controller Model 1001. Its customizable sensitivity, touch sensor D-pad and sleek ergonomic design are enough to make me want to check it out. I will report back my findings in detail.