Best handheld device for Retroarch

I am looking at making a trip to China soon (14+ hour flight) and I was looking at buying a handheld device for playing Retroarch on. Is there one device that can be recommended over another?

I’m figuring that the PSP will probably be most people’s choice. If so, how hard is it to get Retroarch on there? Also, which version do you recommend between the 1000,2000, and 3000? It looks like I can get a 1000 for around $70 on Amazon. Also is the Vita or Go an option either?

I am not concerned with PSP titles, so any other system for suggestion is welcome (Linux or Android welcome as well). Price is a consideration as I think the Nvidia Shield is quite pricey for what it is.

One last option would be to use my Galaxy Note 2, but I would need to find a supported controller and mounting system for it. Suggestions there are welcome as well.

hmm. this is a tough one. PSP is great (aliaspider’s done a really awesome job on it so far) but it’s still preliminary, and the weak hardware makes it unable to run many cores.

Android is a terrible OS for anything that requires low latency and tight sync, but your Note 2 is quite powerful and should provide a decent experience with many cores.

The PSP is pretty great, but retroarch doesn’t have picodrive or snes9x in it yet. You can get these pretty easily elsewhere. This lets you emulate everything up to SNES/Genesis. Though snes9x next and picodrive don’t always run at full speed.

There is thing thing for android phones: http://www.amazon.com/MOGA-Mobile-Gaming-System-Android-2-3/dp/B0096L2SJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423092290&sr=8-1&keywords=android+game+controller

I have no idea how well it works.

Ugh, yeah, picodrive and snes9x were two of the main ones I was looking at. I guess I may be best off staying with my Note 2 and going with a controller setup for it.

I had saw the Moga, even tried that particular model at the Verizon store. The controller wasn’t very comfortable. I believe they have another one that is much more ergonomic.

I wonder if Retroarch has full controller support for it? I do see an option for a Moga Hero Power. It ‘should’ be the same interface. I also read a couple reviews where people talk about the phone having to be rooted (not an option unless I absolutely have to) to be able to use it outside Moga games.

If all else fails, I could always go with a PS3 controller and try to rig a mounting bracket on it.

Well, I think I will go with just a controller setup for my Note 2, these are the choices I’m looking at:

IPEGA Wireless Bluetooth Game Controller Classic

POWER A MOGA Pro Mobile Gaming System

Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad

Phonejoy Bluetooth Game Controller

Cost is definitely an issue. By preferrence (assuming quality is equal), I’m looking at the Mad Catz, then the IPEGA, the MOGA, and finally the Phonejoy.

Will any of these have an issue with Retroarch, require rooting, or extra software purchased for it?

Also, since this is now an android related issue, could this post be moved into the android forum page? Thanks :slight_smile: