Best Reasonable Price Controller for PC for Retroarch

I have a Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 but some Buttons starting to stay on and not turning off.

So I was thinking of Getting a New One so what be the best one I can get for Reasonable Price that is Either USB/Wirless Connection.

That works with Retroarch?

8bitdo makes a wired USB gamepad that sells for about $25 on Amazon, but the dpad can be inaccurate sometimes(left and right can sometimes register as up+left and up+right, respectively). It gets the job done though if you just want plug and play and be done with it. Personally, I own 2 SNES controllers so I bought a SNES > USB adapter from Raphnet, and I use that for everything 8 and 16bit, and some 32bit consoles like the 32X and Saturn. Raphnet makes adapters for literally everything, and cost about $20-$25. For PS1 and up I use a PS4 controller connected via USB.

2 Likes

i use 8bitdo sn30pro, turn it on by holding start + X and plug the cable, it gets recognized as an xbox 360 controller, really easy and way better than an actual xbox 360 pad (wich i hate)

i don’t do wireless but plenty of people play wirelessly with 8bitdo

1 Like

I’ve been using a Dualshock 4 over bluetooth for the last few weeks. It’s fantastic. Great dpad and lower lag than many wired USB controllers. Could prob find a good used one for “reasonable” hehe

3 Likes

I am looking for one that could be used for All Cores/Systems

I also use a DS4 gamepad for everything, PC Gaming and emulation, Retroarch works great with it, as well as PCSX2 and other emulators, Cemu, etc. It has the touchpad, so you can use it as cursor and touch for Nintendo DS and other systems.

2 Likes

Better than DS3 but definitely not a great dpad (playing fighting games on PS4 with it, the dpad is inferior to my Hori Fighting Commander 4, by far). Also, i think the topic is about reasonably priced controllers, and DS4 is one of the priciest. Last but not least, last time i used it on PC, it was not natively supported by windows, i had to install third-party tools (ds4windows).

If i had to recommend a cheap controller, i would probably recommend https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-HORIPAD-Controller-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01NAUATSM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=horipad&qid=1562315641&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Hori controllers are never bad, and this one is one of the cheapest controllers around.

Nope, it’s great.

Maybe all 5 mine are the only good ones ever made by Sony. I have been playing Capcom Vs SNK with one all night and it works just fine. Just as well as the 3 Hori controllers i have.

That is why i mentioned used. 2 of mine were purchanced for around $20 CAD each.

Yes, and it works amazingly well.

It might not be THE BEST for fighting games. That would go to my Official Saturn USB pad. But it is very hard to think of a better controller that works for every system from Atari to the Wii, is also wireless, and has less lag than probably all of them. You cant really beat it.

That said, i did just buy a 8BitDo Diy kit for SNES. Gonna put it in one of my Super Famicom controllers and hopefully use that for most older games. That might also be an option for OP. Its only $20 if you already have a SNES pad.

I’m just stating my personal experience with them, and i know at least 4 ppl who regularly play fighting games on ps4 and think the same.

In the first place, each fighting game has its own level of “forgiveness” to inputs, calibrated against their original controller, capcom vs snk might be one of the most forgiving fighting games i know, and definitely not something i would use as a reference for dpad quality.

Personally i never had luck with used controllers

Capcom Vs SNK isn’t the only fighter i’ve ever played lol… It just happened to be what I was playing tonight. If you would like me to list every fighter i’ve ever played without issue on it… i could do that… i guess

Anyways, The OP wasn’t asking what the Best Reasonable Price Controller for PC for Elite Fighting Game Skillz. I will concede that the Dpad may not be up to (yours and your 4 whole friends) high level competition fighting game championships with super cringy commentators. However, it is more than suitable for the everygamer who used it in a fighter once and a while. It is great for every other type of Dpad controlled games. It has been nothing but perfect for every platformer i have played, and everything else. I have zero of the common dpad issues in any game i’ve ever played with it. And that IS something i would use as a reference for Dpad quality. It also has the lowest LAG. If that doesn’t count as a great Dpad… i’m not sure what does. I guess that makes the Saturn model 2 pad = Tony the Tiger Grrrrrrreat! Since it is miles better still LOL :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that you have never bought a used controller that works well for you. One can pretty much tell immediately if a controller is any good when you hold it in your hands and press the buttons n’ things. Next time i suggest you do that before buying it. Or you could always… you… know… TEST it :slight_smile:

I’m not talking about elite fighting, i’m just saying an average player (like me) fails more at doing a quarter circle on a DS4 than a Hori FC4 (or a saturn model 2 pad which is also one of my favorite controllers) with classic games like kof94, or recent games like the new samsho.

I don’t know where you live, but here the gaming shops with used controllers aren’t common anymore, so you have to buy on online shops, not that having those controllers in my hands before buying them could have helped :

• first one was a DS3 (at a local game shop), the battery was dead and the analog was always going up when wired, ended up returning it to the shop and buying a new DS3.
  • second one was an emerald japanese gamecube controller (i’m a controller collector and have dozens of them) bought on an online shop, it came with 2 non-working buttons and honestly it wasn’t detectable before connecting it to my GC, hopefully the shop took it back and repaired it.
  • third one was a Saturn model 2 pad “this is cool” (on an online shop), X button was barely usable but it just needed a good cleaning.

You should chill, again i’m just stating my own personal experience, with valid points, i don’t think i’m a novice either at judging controllers, so no need for the aggressiveness.

I am by no means attempting to sound aggressive, heh. I’m just a sarcastic goof. I guess my silliness could be confused for it in an “argument” on the internet. I apologize :smiley:

I think the DS4 is the best all round controller I’ve used if i am considering it as a single controller for playing all the consoles RetroArch supports. It having insanely low lag and being wireless pushes it over the top.

You don’t like it. Fair enough. We can still be homies :smiley:

I bought both my used DS4s on Facebook Market place. Meeting the people in town. I never buy anything like that used online. Unless i trust the person.

I’m selling an old barley used official Saturn pad if you interested.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer but i’m good ! As good as the SLS controller is, i only buy controllers compatible with their original console, i’m not especially interested with PC-only controllers.

Is this good for $50?

How Much Mate?

Cheap Enough I be Interested

Not horrible but not great. I have a few of the Hori’s linked just below. No complaints. Better Dpad than the DS4. Wired though.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hori-Pad-3-Turbo-Plus-Black-Controller-for-PlayStation-3-Ps3/1628334369

These arent exactly cheap controller. Take a look at sold listing on eBay :confused: … I bought 20 of them new for 11 bucks a pop many years ago :open_mouth: lol

1 Like

DS4 d-pad elitist here, too. If you’re willing to spend $50 on a controller, you should absolutely spend about $10 more and just get a DS4.

Yes, for fighting games specifically, a Saturn pad or a Hori pad specifically designed for fighting games might be better for performing circular motions. But that has to be the only advantage the d-pads of those controllers have–and in that case, just use an arcade stick, there’s absolutely no comparison to a d-pad anyway when it comes to fighting games. One of the world’s top SF players uses a measly PSX controller, so I think that’s enough of a testament to the potential of Playstation-style d-pads even for fighting games.

But in general, the DS4 d-pad is king. It’s soft, and yet firm; it’s completely non-fatiguing. It responds to a light touch, but with just the right amount of travel that it’s possible to comfortably tap a direction as fast as your thumb can move, unlike many other d-pads which are just too clicky or stiff to enable that (I’m looking at you, Xbox One d-pad).

In close second I’d say is the SNES d-pad, but it’s way too hard and flat and always bruises my thumb after a few hours.

And of course, you’re looking for one controller for everything. The DS4 has the nicest analog sticks around, and you’re not really going to find anything close with a third-party controller.

But above all else, with ds4win (which is a must; make sure you install Ryochan’s fork of the project), you can make the DS4 do damned near anything. No joke, you can actually use its gyroscopic sensors to control the mouse, which is actually my preferred way to play DS and 3DS games, since I find it much more precise than the little touchpad. And a nice bonus is the fact that you can change the Bluetooth polling rate manually, which hugely conserves battery life at the cost of only a fraction of a frame of input lag.

At some point you should invest in an arcade stick, though. That’s definitely the most fun way to play 2D retro games.

2 Likes

I got a XBOX 360 Wired Controller on Wednesday for $25 at a Market

First psx controller was heavily based on snes controller (remember the playstation was supposed to be a snes addon), which is why it had an amazing d-pad. They changed their d-pad many times since then, so please don’t use former glory as reference.

1 Like

Just get an xbox one controller. They’re relatively cheap and they work automatically with everything on PC.