Best video settings?

What are the best settings in RetroArch if I want to play in fullscreen but maintain native core resolution and aspect ratio?

I have a 1920x1080@60hz display.

Go to Settings > Video Settings and set Force Aspect Ratio to ‘On’. This will leave a little bit of black space around the image at 1080p, but you won’t get any warped pixels, clumpy scanlines, etc. caused by uneven scaling and set Aspect Ratio Index to ‘Core provided’.

Do all of the cores in Libretro have proper aspect ratios set up? For example, GBA is 3:2. Is this supported?

Also, should I enable or disable Crop Overscan and Integer Scaling?

If you want the native core AR then use “core provided” whether they got it wrong or right. If you want the nostalgia look whether it’s right or wrong, don’t crop overscan and use 4:3 (display) aspect ratio. If you want accurate ratio, check my thread here.

All handhelds except for GameGear are 1:1 PAR, actually the Aspect Ratio setting in RetroArch makes little sense, it’s not like you are dealing with known (display) aspect ratios like 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 1.85, or 2.40. All that matters is (Pixel) Aspect Ratio -PAR- which is dependant on each system’s video processor. Enable Integer Scaling if you see artifacts in your shader, or disable if in turn with it ON screen is too small.

This is exactly what I’m looking for! But I can’t help but notice you’re lacking settings for such systems as gb, gbc, gba, psx and more. Do they use the same settings as another system?

Also, would these be correct for a SNES?

custom_viewport_width = “1256” replaced with “1170” custom_viewport_height = “896” replaced with “896” custom_viewport_x = “12” replaced with “375” custom_viewport_y = “64” "replaced with “92”

Yeah, as I said all handhelds are 1:1 PAR, so there’s no need to note those. RetroArch always have a AR entry for 1:1 PAR.

I just did Saturn, and PSX happens to be (according to pineight’s web) a 1:1 PAR too but haven’t double checked yet.

Those SNES settings are for certain games only with wider geometry, most games use a 1:1 PAR ratio too like handhelds. Games to use those are, F-Zero, Mortal Kombats, Street Figthers, Joe & Mac, etc

[QUOTE=Dogway;18386]Yeah, as I said all handhelds are 1:1 PAR, so there’s no need to note those. RetroArch always have a AR entry for 1:1 PAR.

I just did Saturn, and PSX happens to be (according to pineight’s web) a 1:1 PAR too but haven’t double checked yet.

Those SNES settings are for certain games only with wider geometry, most games use a 1:1 PAR ratio too like handhelds. Games to use those are, F-Zero, Mortal Kombats, Street Figthers, Joe & Mac, etc[/QUOTE]

To summarize, this is what I need to do?

1. Change aspect ratio to 1:1 PAR
  2. Enable Integer Scaling
  3. Enable Crop Overscan

Also, is there a list of games that deviate from the 1:1 PAR formula?

Edit: Do I pick 1:1 or 4:3 (1:1 PAR) in RetroArch when choosing Aspect Ratio Index?

When talking about PAR, overscan has no effect, other than taking more space of your screen, so yes, you can crop it.

pick X:Y (1:1 PAR)

For SNES I made a (incomplete) list, but I keep it personal. A rule of thumb is ports of arcade games are typically 8:7 PAR.

[QUOTE=Dogway;18394]When talking about PAR, overscan has no effect, other than taking more space of your screen, so yes, you can crop it.

pick X:Y (1:1 PAR)

For SNES I made a (incomplete) list, but I keep it personal. A rule of thumb is ports of arcade games are typically 8:7 PAR.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Sadly, I don’t see an entry in RetroArch for 8:7 (1:1 PAR). Only 4:3 (1:1 PAR) is available.

Unless you’re talking about regular 4:3 and 8:7 (without (1:1 PAR) in the name) in which case, both exist.

Your question is towards the 8:7 PAR games right? Yes, there aren’t predifinied pixel ratios in RetroArch (all ratios in RA including 4:3 and 8:7 you see are DAR not PAR) and hence we have to bother using custom ratios (aspect_ratio_index = “20”) then fill out with values like the ones you posted above.

[QUOTE=Dogway;18397]Your question is towards the 8:7 PAR games right? Yes, there aren’t predifinied pixel ratios in RetroArch (all ratios in RA including 4:3 and 8:7 you see are DAR not PAR) and hence we have to bother using custom ratios (aspect_ratio_index = “20”) then fill out with values like the ones you posted above.[/QUOTE]

I see. I have a TV I’d like to use so I can sit on the couch and play comfortably but it has a resolution of 1366x768. Since your numbers are for 1080p, what numbers should I use instead? Or will those work on 1366x768 as well?

I share your pain, I still use one of those too. This is the formula: 256*(8/7)x240 In that case if you adjust height to integer values, your game screen will end being very small compared to the TV. So I opt to use the full height; TV height resolution divided by game’s height resolution (768/224=3.43) gets you the scaling factor. So (2563.43(8/7)=1002) Use a resolution of 1002x768, use 182 and 0 for x and y offsets.

For these calculation I use a simple AHK script included in the thread, post there if you have more questions.