Best way to record a long replay file?

I want to record a playthrough of a game and the input recording feature of Retroarch is very appealing to me, since it can filter out rewinds/fastforwards/etc… However, I’m not sure the best way to do this through multiple sessions. I was thinking of recording each individual session and then merging the videos together. I would assume that having shorter replay files would help prevent any sort of desyncing.

Now I don’t know if Retroarch has some sort of checkpoint system that would automatically splice up a replay file so I could resume from a prior session. Right now it seems like I would have to load up a previous save state and start a new replay file.

I’ve never recording a replay like this before so any help is appreciated.

I don’t know if the bsv recordings are still rewind-friendly. Someone’s been doing serious work on them lately and that might have been one of the (temporary) casualties. You’d have to try it on a recent build and make sure.

Nevertheless, I think one of the new additions has been playing nicer with save states in general, so you could potentially: make a recording and then when you’re ready to quit, stop the recording, save a state, then when you start the game up next time, load that state and then make a new recording of the next session. I’m not sure how you would go about stitching them all together afterward, though…

1 Like