BFI/Strobing/Motionblur thread reorganized

This monitor looks interesting,I’m curious to see the rendering with crt shaders and this technology (ELMB-SYNC)

The 240Hz 1ms IPS monitors have the best software BFI I have ever seen!

I worked on the ViewSonic XG270 as part of the Blur Busters Approved program.

The best settings for RetroArch for this monitor is:

1. Switch to 120Hz refresh rate.
  2. Turn on PureXP+ (120Hz hardware strobe)
  3. Turn on software BFI (convert 120Hz hardware strobe to 60Hz hardware strobe)

This has the best software BFI I have ever seen!

2 Likes

How does it look different from 120 Hz BFI?

Now that 180+ Hz monitors are becoming available (if not commonplace yet), we’ll have to re-address our software BFI to include some of the other patterns for higher refresh rates (like 0%-25%-100%-25%)

1 Like

(Switching to this account)

VERY sorry about accidential duplicate account. GitHub Connect problem. Actually, I need to merge my accounts. (Ugh). I had problems resetting my password, but the password reset finally worked. The reason is that I changed my GitHub account from personal to business, and that screwed up a lot of “GitHub Connect” logins. But I have found a way to bypass that. So, yes, BlurBusters is me. But perhaps I should continue using this account instead. (Email mark [at] blurbusters . com if you need to reconfirm that both of these accounts are mine, before merging them)

1 Like
  • Better colors of IPS
  • Brighter strobing
  • No interference with 6-bit temporal dithering
  • No chessboard pattern artifact

Amazon reviews have compared the ViewSonic XG270 to a Sony FW900 CRT tube in terms of its strobe quality, and apparently, it has no quality degradation (like TN) during software-based BFI.

Low-Hz strobing works better with more refresh rate headroom because of reduced strobe crosstalk because GtG pixel response hides better between refresh cycles. On 240Hz panels, a 120Hz refresh cycle can execute in only 4.2 milliseconds. Add another 8.3ms for black frame. So you’ve got a 0.25/60th of a second (4.2ms) to refresh refresh-out of a 60Hz emulator refresh cycle, and the rest of the time can be used to clean up LCD pixel response. Even a 1ms exaggerated pixel response can be a 10ms real-world pixel response. See High Speed Videos of LCD Refresh as an example; that blurry zone is the GtG slowness.

1 Like

Also, I posted a suggestion about a future “software-based rolling scan” for 240Hz and 360Hz monitors at the GroovyMAME forum – aka Temporal HLSL where you use the brute refresh rate to emulate a CRT electron gun at sub-refresh levels, but I should probably create a new forum thread for it. I also posted a issue at the MAME GitHub too as well.

However, I think the beginnings could be implemented into RetroArch, in theory. And it would be much easier to beamrace too! Since you can simply beamrace 1/4th of a refresh cycle for a 240Hz monitor, and simply use sheer brute refresh cycles as the beamracing method too. And a rolling-bar black frame insertion method as an electron gun emulator (like a high speed video of a CRT).

But before this happens,

I have a feature request, which I will post in a separate thread, about comma-separated black-frame configuration for 180Hz, 240Hz, 300Hz, and 360Hz monitors.

2 Likes

No worries about the accounts. Just keep going with whichever one you want to use :slight_smile:

That’s some exciting news about monitor developments. We’ll have to overhaul our BFI to include different patterns and partial frames. Btw, when you say '0%-25%-100%-25%, are the 25%s brightness for the full image or full-black covering 25% of the image to simulate rolling scan?

2 Likes

Global at first, for simplicity.

I have two github Feature Requests.

BFI Version 2 (Easy, Global)

Improvements to BFI to support higher-Hz monitors.

BFI Version 3 (Harder Rolling, but more Holy Grail)

Emulation of CRT electron beam

2 Likes

Hey got a question for you Chief Blurbuster!

I noticed this Mac/Linux-only emulator called Clock Signal.

It does DSP emulation of CRT output, at least to my understanding.

In theory could this be what you are looking for as far as the CRT Rolling Scan stuff? The details are a bit over my head.

I think that @TomHarte’s CLK engijne might theoretically be a codebase that can become an eventual BFIv3, especially if Windows support is also added.

It already has what seems to be a partial implementation of the rolling scan stuff (at least frame overlapped with previous frame, but without rolling-black in between yet).

It already supports beam racing in an internal prototype that Tom did, and likely (with some more debugging), add some temporal-behavior elements (like rolling black frame insertion).

With more modifications, and modularizing it to RetroArch, it probably is something doable with CLK. It would be within the bounds of the bounty if CLK was modified to make the CRT emulator modular enough to also become the CRT emulator for any other emulators (MAME, RetroArch, etc). In that sense, it could also become the beam-raced sync module for RetroArch.

I may be able to also, additionally, loan a 240 Hz gaming monitor (that becomes awarded/keeper upon successful completion) to any developer that wants to do some rolling-scan improvements to an existing CRT-tube emulator such as CLK or MAME HLSL. Blur Busters has LOTS of leftover samples as a display testing laboratory…). While it won’t be as good on a 300nit 240Hz monitor as on a 2000nit future locally-dimmed 360Hz+ display (since you need sheer brightness to compensate for the dimness of BFI – much like how bright a CRT electron gun phosphor dot is) – a 240Hz monitor is the beginnings of the minimum refresh rate for viable software-nased rolling scan emulation (quarter-persistence, four overlapped alpha-blended frameslices).

CLK uses the MIT license, so is likely opensource-compatible with LibRetro as a codebase that could be used for either https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/6762 or for LibRetro BFIv3 (#10757), though there might be some code duplicatioin issues.

Also, AFAIK, Tom hasn’t committed the beamraced code and CLK is not yet Windows compatible – but theoretically could easily become Windows compatible without too many modifications (at least when piggybacking off an opensource 2D-OpenGL/Direct3D friendly engine such as MonoGame which can create 2D framebuffer graphics with text/bitmaps in just 100 lines of programming…and was the engine that I used for Tearline Jedi experiments)

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. It would be cool if that CLK mode could be the beginnings of a Retroarch CRT emulator but it will require someone to jump onboard for development.

I don’t think it will help me personally that much if it requires 240hz though. I have the LG 27gl83a-b 144hz monitor, which I’m extremely happy with except for it’s complete lack of a Lightboost-esque mode. And the problem is software BFI in Retroarch produces terrible IR. Do you think the best hope for monitors like this is having 50% brightness frames? I’m guessing that would have a corresponding effect of higher motion blur than if the monitor was capable of regular BFI?

1 Like

My view is a CRT emulator is a 5-year incubation goal.

What should happen first is BFI Version 2 (burnin-proof version)

If RetroArch implements BFIv2 with the anti-burnin feature, that would be a solved problem.

The optional 50% brightness frame only needs to occur once every 20 seconds or 30 seconds, merely simply only as a flicker-prevention measure during the phase-swap moment. You don’t even need to do this, if you can tolerate a brief flicker once every 20 seconds, but adding a gamma-corrected 50% brightness frame balances this out (e.g. two consecutive 50% brightness frames replacing one 100% brightness frame, only once every 20 seconds or 30 seconds). This interval could be configurable, such as once every 5 minutes or once every 15 minutes, depending on how fast static electricity in the pixels builds up to create image retention. Otherwise, the BFI is unchanged – it looks the same as before, the anti-burn-in frame only lasts for 1/120sec (at 120Hz) once every 20 or 30 seconds. The problem is that without the 50% brightness technique for 2/120sec, there’s a minor flicker once every 20 or 30 seconds during this anti-burnin manoevere.

RetroArch could theoretically run microscopically slower or faster (e.g. 1 refresh cycle every 20 or 30 seconds) to keep things running normally internally. This would be a special divisor/multiplier factor applied to the current monitor refresh rate.

Now, even this is optional if you buy a monitor capable of 180Hz+

Alternatively, combining variable refresh rate + software BFI can be used to introduce phase swaps with less disruptions.

Also, for fixed Hz, if you use an odd divisor (180Hz or 300Hz), there is no burn in, since the BFI is no longer in sync with the LCD voltage inversion, so no static electricity builds up in the pixels to create the temporary image retention effect.

Now if you stay at 144Hz, you don’t have enough refresh rate for the 180Hz technique, so you need the anti-burnin logic described at: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162926.msg1715845.html?PHPSESSID=6c20t410rjdbcu2jh4a5lhisdj#msg1715845

3 Likes

Maybe this could be implemented on the emulation/software side just as they have done with the inclusion of software BFI?

Couldn’t a shader do something like this? We already have rolling scanlines. Maybe we just need two parallel rolling black windows to obscure the display window which would be in between?

That should create the effect of the viewport being a rolling window, shouldn’t it?

What do you think @MajorPainTheCactus, @HyperspaceMadness, @guest.r, @hunterk, @Hyllian?

The issue we have is that the shader system runs on game frames rather than monitor frames. This is a pretty fundamental issue that would need to be resolved before we can do high-refresh effects.

The software BFI setting from the ‘video’ menu is certainly usable, but using a display’s built-in backlight strobing when available is typically better, since any stutter in the framerate causes very noticeable flickering with software BFI.

2 Likes

Doesn’t it just have to obscure part of the viewport in a strobing motion? Why can’t it simply use a similar algorithm to rolling scanlines and the user can just adust the width and speed of the strobing until they dial it in correctly? Would it go out of sync with the display? Perhaps the strobe can be synced with the frame interval or something like that. So maybe one or two oscillations per frame or something like that?

I would love to have a display with a rolling refresh, and I wish all OLEDs had it as an option and not just the ridiculously expensive ones. But to simulate it on a regular sample and hold display I’m pretty sure you would need a very high refresh rate. Otherwise if you’re only using 120Hz for example wouldn’t that just mean you could only get like the top half and then the bottom half of the screen flashing back and forth?

Either way it would be really interesting to see someone here do a mockup with video editing to simulate different variations of it to see what it would look like.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. I don’t personally notice the sample-and-hold blur, so I can’t really tell for myself, but you can try the interlacing shader in the ‘misc’ folder on a 480i/p source (the SNES 240p test suite can do 480i) to try a sort of “distributed” BFI effect, and I added scanline roll to the res-independent scanlines here you can try:

#version 450

/*
    Resolution-Independent Scanlines
    based on
    Scanlines Sine Absolute Value
    An ultra light scanline shader
    by RiskyJumps
	license: public domain
*/

layout(push_constant) uniform Push
{
	vec4 SourceSize;
	vec4 OriginalSize;
	vec4 OutputSize;
	uint FrameCount;
	float amp;
	float phase;
	float lines_black;
	float lines_white;
	float mask, mask_weight, imageSize, rollspeed;
} params;

#pragma parameter amp          "Amplitude"      1.2500  0.000 2.000 0.05
#pragma parameter phase        "Phase"          0.5000  0.000 2.000 0.05
#pragma parameter lines_black  "Lines Blacks"   0.0000  0.000 1.000 0.05
#pragma parameter lines_white  "Lines Whites"   1.0000  0.000 2.000 0.05
#pragma parameter rollspeed    "Rolling Speed"  1.0000  0.010 2.000 0.01

#pragma parameter mask "Mask Layout" 0.0 0.0 19.0 1.0
#pragma parameter mask_weight "Mask Weight" 0.5 0.0 1.0 0.01
#pragma parameter imageSize "Simulated Image Height" 224.0 144.0 260.0 1.0

#define freq             0.500000
#define offset           0.000000
#define pi               3.141592654

layout(std140, set = 0, binding = 0) uniform UBO
{
	mat4 MVP;
} global;

#define pi 3.141592654
#include "../../include/subpixel_masks.h"

#pragma stage vertex
layout(location = 0) in vec4 Position;
layout(location = 1) in vec2 TexCoord;
layout(location = 0) out vec2 vTexCoord;
layout(location = 1) out float omega;

void main()
{
   gl_Position = global.MVP * Position;
   vTexCoord = TexCoord;

omega = 2.0 * pi * freq;              // Angular frequency
}

#pragma stage fragment
layout(location = 0) in vec2 vTexCoord;
layout(location = 1) in float omega;
layout(location = 0) out vec4 FragColor;
layout(set = 0, binding = 2) uniform sampler2D Source;

void main()
{
    float angle = (gl_FragCoord.y * params.OutputSize.w) * omega * params.imageSize + (params.phase*float(mod(params.FrameCount,60)*params.rollspeed));
    vec3 color = texture(Source, vTexCoord).xyz;
    float grid;

float lines;

lines = sin(angle);
    lines *= params.amp;
    lines += offset;
    lines = abs(lines);
    lines *= params.lines_white - params.lines_black;
    lines += params.lines_black;
    color *= lines;

FragColor = vec4(color.xyz, 1.0);
   FragColor.rgb *= mask_weights(gl_FragCoord.xy, params.mask_weight, int(params.mask));
}
4 Likes

I only have 60Hz screens (besides an old CRT Monitor that I don’t use) so I guess I won’t be able to do this at anything more than 30Hz per field but yes, distributed BFI is kinda what I’m getting at instead of full frame. Any improvement in motion clarity should be welcomed so it doesn’t need to be all that aggressive all the time.

Maybe the strobe can probably be a really fast sweep and it can even be field sequential, dividing the screen into an equal number of alternating on and off windows.

This might introduce new type of interlacing artifacts though.

You know what might also look good? A chekerboard BFI pattern. With every other block alternating between on/off. Perhaps the perceived brightness might be higher with that than with full frame BFI at the same frequency?

Forgive me for thinking aloud.

I’m assuming that I just have to copy and paste the above code into a new *.slang file and load it up?

I’m only used to loading *.slangp and *.cgp files.

1 Like

Yes. You have to load it manually by ticking the number of passes from 0 to 1 and then where it says “shader 1 N/A”, navigate to the shader, select it and hit ‘apply’.

1 Like

Help needed,

When I try to load the code you just posted, I get [ERROR] [slang]: Failed to open shader file: “…\RetroArch\shaders\include\subpixel_masks.h”.

I tried the interlacing shader and the scrolling looks pretty smooth with it. It’s hard to tell what to look for though. If I had masks and triads which would normally disappear during horizontal scrolling, that might have helped.

One thing I like about the interlacing shader is that I’m not noticing any flicker from the distance I’m viewing the screen from. Near the end of the CRT era, I couldn’t stand looking at a CRT computer monitor at 60Hz after getting used to 85Hz.