Bilinear Filtering console settings

Ok in the general video settings of retroarch is the bilinear filtering setting. I want it on for 3d systems and off for 2d ones. I want to know if there’s a way to have it automatically turn on/off depending on what core I’m using or if I have to manually disable/enable it depending on what core I’m using. Or is the best way to handle what I want to leave it disabled globally and enable a basic bilinear shader only in the cores I want it on?

yeah, just use core overrides for the ones you want it on for, and set it off in your global settings, or vice versa.

Ok the core override setting confused me at first how it worked. So every setting that gets changed in that setting doesnt get saved as the default once you hit it. Got it now thanks.

Does this save on a core override from the menu? Or required to edit .cfg file manually

Currently testing override compatibility and this setting is one i need to double check.

You can also achieve this through core shader presets by setting a pass of the stock shader (or misc/image-adjustment or whatever) and then set it to “don’t care” for the scale and set the filter to nearest or linear as per your preference.

Ya core override works for bilinear filtering. All core overrides go into the config folder and the setting for bilinear filtering is video_smooth. So depending on which way your overriding it, itll be either video_smooth = “true” or video_smooth = “false”

So by default I’m just going to leave bilinear filtering off, but for every core I want it on ill turn bilinear filtering on and do a core override. After doing that, by default new cores will still have bilinear filtering off.

1 Like

What I didn’t understand about core override was that it only saves settings that were changed from the default in that session. So if later on you change defaults around, it’ll change the core that you used core override on. If you plan to use core override, it’s best to basically never change default settings around unless you want that change for every core or you’ll need to update some core overrides after.

Yes that sounds right.