Black and White (NO COLOR!) HELP

I am not sure what is happening here. Everything is black and white when i am using an HDMI to RCA adaptor. When i use this adaptor on my laptop (windows 10) it works perfectly. When i connect it to the laptop that i have retroarch installed on, its all black and white…

Ideas?

A few troubleshooting questions:

Does this only affect RetroArch or the entire Linux book? Are you sure you’re running at a supported resolution? Is this on an LCD display or a CRT? What model is the adaptor? Composite video (yellow RCA jack) or component video (3 cables + 2 for audio)?

i think its the rca adapter interacting with the gpu of the laptop. i have a similar device and the same problem. The way i got it fixed was mess with the resolution and refresh rate in either the display settings or the intel graphics settings program. But i do believe it was changing a drop down option under display adapter properties. You can find that option under advanced display settings.

I think i may have posted in the wrong place for this. this should be under a Lakka forum… sorry. But it is on a CRT TV. The model is… ummm. china… lol i there is no indication of a model number. And its just composite video. the yellow.

I don’t have any experience with Lakka, so I don’t know how easy it would be to experiment with different resolutions or refresh rates, but that would be my first guess. Since it’s an HDMI adapter, there shouldn’t be any drivers per se, since the video signal in will be the same on any platform. LCD displays are sometimes more picky about sync and such, but CRTs are usually very permissive, so being slightly out of spec shouldn’t cause issues.

It’s tricky, because composite carries either 240p or 480i. 240p is out of spec for HDMI, I think, and interlaced video output is also uncommon for computers (also undesirable for gaming). 480p is generally supported by HDMI TVs, accessories etc. but doesn’t work over composite, so it’s hard to know what resolution the adapter works best with. Without any good documentation (China), you’ll probably have to experiment with resolutions to see what works, if that is the problem. Maybe try messing with the Windows settings to see if any specific changes break it (e.g. 60 Hz vs 59.9 Hz refresh, resolution, aspect ratio, etc.), then try to replicate the exact settings in Lakka. Also try a different display if you can. And test the normal HDMI signal!

Are you using a PAL tv?

The converter may be a different format than the tv.

NTSC and PAL devices can be used together but this and other problems will be the effect.

Can you test it on another tv or converter?

Playing Super Smash Bros Melee PAL on an NTSC television

This seems to be my exact problem… i believe its a NTSC TV. im in Canada, so it should be right?
The converter has a toggle switch to switch between NTSC and PAL, but it doesnt seem to do anything… maybe its broken?