Black boxes for content tabs

I have black boxes for content tabs… for about a week now.

content_history
content_image_history
content_music_history
content_video_history

I got the latest assets and this line assets_directory = “~/.config/retroarch/assets” in the config. The icons works fine everywhere else. Anybody else got this problem too?

Are you using a different icon set perhaps?

Yes and no. I’m using different icon set (first) and I started retroarch -c /tmp to get default monochrome icon set (second). I think it might be a bug. https://i.imgur.com/s1mRyiH.png

I have updated my post with an imgur link. I’m running retroarch-git on Archlinux (Antergos). What would cause only the content tabs to remain empty?

QUESTION Is there a list / manual / documentation on environment variables for RetroArch for linux? I wanted to set up something like

savefile_directory = "~/.config/retroarch/saves/%SYSTEMNAME%"
savestate_directory = "~/.config/retroarch/saves/%SYSTEMNAME%"

I’m trying to find a list of environment variables to use on RetroArch. Also, I see that I could set up override for all cores (without any %VAR%). Is it the only way? I see some evidence of variables so I can’t be too sure. Thank you in advance.

You can go into Settings, Saving and turn on “Sort Saves in Folders” to have save folders created named after each core in your savefile directory.

Thank you Awakened. I am setting up a fresh config again because my old one broke… Apparently it might had to do more with this issue – https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/3843 – My old config works fine again. I’ll keep using this one with sort saves feature toggled on.

I’m still trying to find out more about environment variables (if any) because I would like to try different NES cores (or any other cores) using current gamesaves.

Sort Saves in Folder does this. ~/.config/retroarch/saves/Nestopia/Adventures of Lolo 2 (USA).state

What I want to achieve. ~/.config/retroarch/saves/Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System/Adventures of Lolo 2 (USA).state

Basically, per-system options instead of per-core options. I won’t have problem using per-core options for NES, but with PS1, I might want to try switching between PSX, NEW PSX HW, and some other PS1 core… to test broken cores (and such… like how a core might stop me from playing this certain level in a game so I can switch to a different one and continue)… without cluttering up gamesaves in a too-generic save directory.

Meanwhile, I’m still having black box issues for all content history only (and this one Atari - 5200 system). Thank again. :slight_smile:

RetroArch doesn’t have any concept of ‘systems’, only cores.

There aren’t really any environment variables, AFAIK.

This is a bad idea sometimes. When I moved my saves from VBA-M to mGBA, certain games got their saves wiped after loading the game. Same with OOT when going from Mupen to Glupen. Most of the time you can move saves between cores without a problem though. I just prefer the save folder per core setting since it’s easier to use than having save folder overrides and you have backups when you copy saves over when trying a new core.

That’s true. I don’t have to do anything with save folder per core setting. This method works for me too. I just like to see my stuffs in %SYSTEMNAME% more than %SOME_RANDOM_CORENAME%. I accidentally unsubscribed this thread few days ago. I looked around and can’t find a way to resubscribe. I found a section with a list of threads that I’m subscribed to… but no way to add a custom thread. Is there a way to reactivate following this thread (just in case somebody else commented). Many thanks.

Do you notice with save-folder-per-core that Nestopia is named differently? I’m expecting “Nestopia UE” in the gamesave directory (according to core info)… and not “Nestopia.” I might file a bug about that.

I’m not sure where the names for per-core stuff come from, but if they change them, users who already have per-core saves/states/overrides/options setup have to rename everything.

Pretty sure that it pulls the name from the core itself (info->library_name), which is displayed at the bottom of the menu when the core is loaded.

@Awakened – Nestopia core was always Nestopia. The dist info was Nestopia… Nestopia UE… and now Nestopia.

@Monroe88 – It was fixed yesterday. No more Nestopia UE.

About the black boxes for content tabs… I believe there is a bug that causes black box for content tabs… and it had something to do with custom paths and/or having some path toggled on or off. I also filed a bug report that was closed immediately. I used this config to keep all history playlists in the directory with the game playlists. See if you guys get the black boxes too. Don’t forget to restart.

# Keep all played contents in the menu and from CLI directly for convenient quick loading.
# content_history_path = "~/.config/retroarch/playlists/content_history.lpl"
# content_music_history_path = "~/.config/retroarch/playlists/content_music_history.lpl"
# content_image_history_path = "~/.config/retroarch/playlists/content_image_history.lpl"
# content_video_history_path = "~/.config/retroarch/playlists/content_video_history.lpl"