blueMSX keyboard + retropad - how? (nightly)

I installed a nightly build on my non-jailbroken iPhone 6 Plus, and I was trying to play Metal Gear 2 on the MSX using the blueMSX core.

I was able to get the game to run, but I’m having trouble having the RetroPad and the On Screen Keyboard both working.

I can get one or the other (RetroPad or On Screen Keyboard) to work by setting the User 1 Device Type (with port #0) to RetroPad or RetroKeyboard but I can’t switch between the joypad and keyboard overlays and have both work. Is this just not implemented yet, or just not possible?

It’s still got some kinks to be ironed out, but if you have the onscreen keyboard overlay setup, you can map a physical button to toggle the osk, and there should be an osk/gamepad toggle button on the modular/opaque/big.cfg keyboard but I don’t think the overlay toggle button is working just yet. So, if you’re using a physical gamepad, I think you should be able to map that button via RGUI and it will toggle between osk and gamepad, but if you’re playing with overlay controls, you’re out of luck temporarily.

The overlay toggle button on the modular/opaque/big.cfg keyboard does work - thanks! :slight_smile:

But the problem is that the key presses on the keyboard don’t work - they don’t result in keypresses in the emulator. (the keyboard button lights up and is responsive). The only way I’m able to get the keyboard to work is if I set the device on port #0 to RetroKeyboard - but this disables the RetroPad…so not sure what the correct implementation is, or if i’m setting up the input devices wrong.

Oh, nice. I’m glad to hear that the overlay’s toggle button works, at least :smiley:

I was talking with radius about the issue in IRC and it does appear to be a limitation, due to the way the keyboard is running through the controller interface. This made sense before we got the osk because you couldn’t really do more than one at a time anyway, but now it appears to be an impediment. I’m not sure when anyone will get a chance to work on it, but now that we know it’s an issue, we should hopefully be able to correct it at some point and avoid it in future, similar core implementations.

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for the explanation hunterk! It’d be nice to get the “input remapping” option to appear for the core options for blueMSX to workaround this issue, maybe?

Thanks again!

Input Remapping only works for Retropad atm so it would make no difference whatsoever