Boxart resolution general discussion

Hello All,

I want to start creating boxart DB for RetroArch but to be safe from possible inconsistency with developers plan I need to ask some questions:

• What max dimension of image should be. Obviously that different system has different cover design. As an example Genesis has a book orientation but SNES has album orientation. And that should be in mind and somehow managed by UI
  • Are there any plans to use several covers for a single title? Like front cover, back cover, cartridge cover (other media), screen from a game itself etc.
  • Do you have a plane to add title description like plot, genre, rating system etc
  • What about different releases of the same game? I mean like for Genesis and Mega Drive. Often they have different coved design.
  • Is naming boxart same as game name mandatory or you’re planning to change it in a future? Like add a CRC relation or else.

Boxart name scheme definitely should be changed because it’s confused for the same games on different systems. For example: Earthworm Jim, Pitfall, Ultimate Mortal Kombat. They all share the same names across different systems (snes / genesis).

I think they want to put boxart in sub folders eventually. Probably with names matching the playlist names. If that’s implemented, I think using the file name to match boxart would be better than using the description name. Since descriptions could theoretically have characters not supported by the file system.

Yeah, definitely this will fix the issue and moreover reduce number of files in a boxart dir. Now the only thing I’m really curious is what picture resolution should be. Would be nice to hear it from someone official :wink:

It’s not finalized yet, AFAIK. It’s still a preliminary feature, so don’t go too crazy investing a lot of time on something that’s subject to change.

And, yes, there will be access to all sorts of metadata and additional pictures (cart images, etc.).