BSnes just gives black screen when loading ROM

I am using 1.3.2 with latest BSnes core (Balanced version).

When loading ROM it just gives black screen.

Any idea how to fix?

can you paste a log? (run retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose from a command line)

I think I figured it out. Apparently retroarch doesn’t support 7zip??!?

it does but there are some other things that could be going on. If it works decompressed, though, and you can deal with that, it’s certainly easier than tracking down whatever’s going wrong.

So I took another stab at this, but this time using the debug.exe like you mentioned. Doesn’t give a whole lot of info unfortunately.

[bsnes]: XML map: cartridge region=NTSC rom name=program.rom size=0x7f0a9 ram name=save.ram size=0x1000 map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000 map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-ffff

[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 7, Request “manifest.bml”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 8, Request “program.rom”. [bsnes]: Load ROM. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 9, Request “save.ram”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 6, Request “”. [bsnes]: Complete load request. [bsnes]: SRAM memory size: 4096.

I was able to get the ROM to work without it being 7zipped (just extracted to same folder and launched it instead of the .7Z file).

Something must be wrong with the 7-zip support in retroarch?

Nope, works fine here. Like I said, there are a few things that could be going wrong. For example, there may be a problem with your cache directory where it extracts the ROM to temporarily.

16-bit and prior cartridge games are pretty small as is. Personally I run them all uncompressed.