[Bug?] Fire TV Remote Stops Working After Saving Controller Autoconfig

This seems like a bug but thought I’d check here before submitting as such.

Device: Amazon Fire Stick 2 Gen Retroarch: 1.70

After installing and launching, the fire tv remote is detected and its config is loaded fine.

I can also turn on my GameSir G4 controller and use it. RetroArch says it is using a fallback of “Android Gamepad” for it. At this point I can use either the remote or controller just fine depending on what I have handy. However, a couple of buttons are mapped wrong (the triggers and a couple others) for the G4 so I have to bind its buttons properly and save it’s autoconfig.

At this point the fire tv remote stops working and I can no longer use it even if I launch the app with it and never even turn on the gamepad. Retroarch doesn’t even say it detects it.

The first time this happened I assumed I must have changed some setting and not realized it as I had been setting things up. I uninstalled and re-installed retroarch though and the just did the controller setup first and the same thing happened.

OK. I figured it out. After configuring, and saving, the game controller, I needed to select “Bind Default All”, then exit retroarch and when I restarted both the controller and remote were working again. I don’t really understand why but , it works.

Having troubles with my 8BITDO controller as well…

Fire Stick Remote Battery Problems

The most common reasons that Fire Stick remotes stop working all have to do with the batteries. The main issue is that Fire Stick remotes use Bluetooth instead of infrared, and the Bluetooth connection can become erratic when the batteries get low.

Fire Stick and Fire TV remotes are fairly power hungry in comparison to other remotes. If you use your Fire TV device a lot, you can expect to go through batteries at a faster rate than you might expect. So even if you replaced your batteries recently, it’s still worth checking them.Even my fire stick remote stops working some times I found solution to this problem by following the guidelines mentioned on howtotechh.com/amazon-fire-stick-remote-not-working/.

Here’s how to rule out the batteries as a problem when your Fire Stick remote stops working:

Remove the batteries from your Fire Stick remote.

A photograph of the batteries in a Fire Stick remote. Pay attention to how the batteries were installed, and make sure they weren’t backwards. If they were backwards, reinstall them and try the remote again.

A photograph of the battery compartment of a Fire Stick remote showing how to install the batteries. Look inside the battery compartment, and you will see a diagram that shows which direction to install the batteries.

Install new batteries.

A photograph of new batteries in a Fire Stick remote. Since your Fire Stick remote uses Bluetooth instead of infrared, batteries that work fine in your TV remote may not work when swapped into your Fire Stick remote. Use brand new batteries if possible.

If the remote still doesn’t work, try different batteries.

A screenshot of rechargeable and alkaline batteries with a Fire TV remote. Rechargeable batteries only provide 1.2V, compared to 1.5V from alkaline batteries. If you have trouble with rechargeables, try fresh alkaline batteries.

If the remote still doesn’t work, the batteries probably aren’t your problem.