BVM/PVM CRT style shader for Android

Looking for a strong Sony BVM/PVM scanlin style shader for retroarch on my Shield TV. Could anyone recommend one?

I love CRT-Royale on my old PC, but I have moved on to this device for my living room and I havent found anything else thats even close at this point.

Thanks in advanced!

I ported CRT-Royale (except for the curvature functions) to the vulkan shader format, which works on Shield ATV. However, libretro-gl cores, such as mupen/glupen and ppsspp, won’t work with vulkan. Regular software-rendered cores work fine, though.

I tried Vulkan on the latest Nightly without much luck. I will wait for it to stabilize a bit before i give it another try.

Thanks!

It’s pretty stable right now. Just make sure you disable any shaders before changing the driver and then quit retroarch and relaunch.

I was able to get this working with your help over IRC. Unfortunately, the “glow” features are a little over saturated on a 1080p screen. They look great on 4k, after seeing it at my friends. I will just have to stick with CRT-easymode, until i see something better come along.

Did you try the kurozumi preset in the ‘presets’ directory?

Yes I did. What i noticed that there was a very “glowy/blurry” effect around anything bright on black. Very Very noticeable on the Zelda II intro screen.

It didnt look bad, but it just didnt look natural on my LED back-lit LCD. I may give it a shot with turning down the brightness a little or a few other things.

Any suggestions? Can most of this be edited via the gui or will i have to get down and dirty and adb in and edit files?

Thanks!

Yeah, you can edit it all from the preview parameters menu. Once you get settings you like, you can use the menu parameters menu to save them. Personally, I find it easier to just hardcode the values into the preset (slangp, in this case) with a text editor than trying to save from the menu parameters.

The value you probably want to mess with is the ‘diffusion weight.’

1 Like

that setting did it, but it seems every 5th line looks to be a little darker. I am guessing it has something to do with the off scaling of 1080p.

I will tinker with it more now that I am headed in the right direction.

Yes, you need integer scaling for scanlines to look even in all cases. Some shaders, such as crt-easymode look passable at non-integer scales but even those have the issue if you look closely enough.

I do have them at 5x integer scaling. I will check again when i get home and see if i can take a screen shot and look at it on another tv to see if perhaps there is something else going on internally on my tv itself.

Removed, DUPE!

Same issue. 5x, integer scaling on, no crop. Used snes9x and bsnes and same thing.

Any other ideas I could try? I love the way this one looks with the difussion turned down.

If you’re setting 5x scale on the shader, it’s actually getting scaled back down to 4.5x. You would have to set a custom viewport in settings > video that forces the 5x scale and then set the aspect ratio to ‘custom’.