Can Goldeneye damage my screen?

I play Goldeneye with the Parallel core on my laptop, and I’ll occasionally stream the game through Steam so my friends can watch. I have always been kind of bugged by the flickering while in menus but I’ve accepted that it is a known issue and may be fixed one day. However, I finally finished the game today and the credits screen is way worse; seizure inducing flickering galore!

I wrapped up the stream for the night and when I returned to the desktop, I noticed that my screen was still flickering. It looked like something was wrong with my back light, and the affected area matched the 4:3 ratio of the game. I tried restarting my computer thinking that maybe the flickering caused my Nvidia drivers to go bug-eyed, but the issue persisted. After tinkering around a bit, the issue seemed to go away on it’s own.

This raises the question: Will prolonged play cause permanent damage to my screen?

I love Retroarch, and the Parallel N64 core doubly so, but I really don’t want to risk ruining my screen, if that is indeed a thing.

1 Like

It’s still an experimental renderer; we cannot really give any kind of warranty or assurance on it. I think since there’s such a large variety of monitors out there, it’s kinda hard to give you a conclusive answer on this.

I think what definitely is a factor in this is that VI handling is still not completed and that side of ParaLLEl is still very incomplete, and we lack the contributors right now to be able to fix that.

So yeah, if your monitor is giving you issues with that core, I’d say give it a rest for now. I am just saying this as a general precaution since if your monitor is already acting up like that, then it surely can’t do it a lot of good if one continues feeding it more use case scenarios like that.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the reply! I’ll just have to refrain from playing Goldeneye for the time being then. That was the first time my screen ever did that, so it was kind of surprising. I look forward to the day the renderinf issue are ironed out, as playing games with this core feels like playing on the real thing!