Can no longer get Sega Genesis cheats to apply

I know they used to work because I played Castle of Illusion months ago and it was fine.

I have tried to apply cheats to a few random games but they are not working, is there some trick I am missing? For example, Aladdin, I load the core, load the game, go to cheats, load the Aladdin cheat, set Infinite Health to ON and Infinite Apples to ON, push A on the Apply Cheats, restart content, and resume content. Nothing works. Same with a few other games I have tried.

How am I supposed to get the cheats to stick and is there an indicator that the cheats are being applied? When I push the Apply Cheats button I dont see any indication that it’s working or anything is happening.

(Running on a Nexus 7 2013 tablet)

I believe they used to work at some point. We’ll have to look into it and see if we can pin down when they stopped working. Hopefully not too long ago…

Do you have a link to older versions I can try?

I know they were working in November as I had a party on the 21st of that month and played Genesis games at night with cheats working.

I can test things out for the team and see if I can get them working on older builds.

We have the nightly builds here: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/ If you’re rooted, you can try just getting the individual core and dropping it into /data/data/com.retroarch/cores(?). If unrooted, you’ll have to get the whole apk and uninstall the Play store version to install the nightly.

Unfortunately, the nightlies only go back to mid-January, but that’s better than nothing!

Woah when did the Android version change from the green text on black to a fully working touch interface?

(I just installed the earliest one in January and booted up to a shock)

Using the Genesis Plus GX v1.7.4 core, not all cheats are working, I confirmed the codes listed in the cheat menu on other websites, they are correct, just not working as expected.

This is probably old but I am having this issue and would love more than anything to be able to use cheats on some Sega games lol any help is greatly appreciated…

Does anybody know the issue with Sega cheats? Cheats work on every other emulator but Sega :frowning:

I tried to apply cheats on Castlevania : Bloodlines with the Genesis Plus GX core on Android and it does not seem to work.

After some further digging (more like excavating lol) I figured out how to make the pro action replay codes you download from the online updater within retro arch work…when you go to apply a cheat select it instead to bring up the keyboard and edit the last 2 digits for instnance…

If it’s

FFEF1:23
change it to FFEF1:2323

Or FE0FF:00 change to FE0FF:0000

So on and so forth… It worked on almost every game I tested even in different regions USA Europe and world… Aladdin…sonic 3…sonic and knuckles…streets of rage and few others I tried…

I believe the reason is the cheat files for Sega just need to be fixed and update if I knew how I would try lol…but you can save the cheat file after you edit it so you don’t have to do it every time…

Hope this helps

So I tried your trick in Castlevania : Bloodlines, I doubled the last two digits, but it still did not work.

Werid I’ll try it in castlevania bloodlines and report my findings…you may have to have a specific rom version…

So I tried castlevania bloodlines and it worked for me unlimited health lives the works…i don’t mess about with the cheats on the bottom tho like set fx on levita…

Anyhow you must be entering it wrong if your having trouble message me…

Remember if it’s

FFF09E:23.

CHANGE to

FFF09E:2323 <<<<<make sure to use caps and the correct : symbol not the ; symbol

I tried on every Sega game in my collection like over 80 And it works for sure…

I don’t know if you are using a gamepad but I am using a 8bitdo nes30 Pro and I just click A to bring up the keyboard and the I can see the code in the background I enter it with the two extra digits then press start on the gamepad to save and it turns the code on then apply cheat changes and resume game

I can try and take screen shots or a quick video of you need visual

Iam having the same issue… Why can’t the cheat be edited and re uploaded?

I don’t really know I’m pretty sure the are stored in libretros end but you can manually edit the cheat file using the method I listed above and then save the changes and your good to go…

i am having the same issue on NES, SNES and MD on retroarch 1.81 on all my android devices any workaround on this?