Can not use MESS core - "driver not found"

I’ve been using one of the latest nightlies (2014-12-25) to try and load roms using the MESS core, without success. It appears to me that RetroArch is looking for the wrong system and is possibly thinking the rom’s filename is the system? I have a folder of MESS bios files in the \system folder. Here’s my console log when I try to load an Amstrad GX4000 game:

J:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch-Nightly-2014-12-25>retroarch --menu
RetroArch [ERROR] :: ctx_init :: Failed to bind API (#0, version 0.0) on context driver "d3d".
RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: SYSTEM_DIRECTORY: J:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch-Nightly-2014-12-25\systemRetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: CONTENT_DIRECTORY: (null)RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: SAVE_DIRECTORY: J:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch-Nightly-2014-12-25\systemRetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Starting game:J:\HyperSpin\Games\Amstrad GX4000\Batman the Movie (Europe).7z
RetroArch [WARN] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro WARN] :: Driver Batman the Movie (Europe) not found -1
RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro ERROR] :: Driver not found
Batman the Movie (Europe)
RetroArch [WARN] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro WARN] :: Driver Amstrad GX4000 not found -1
RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_log_libretro :: [libretro ERROR] :: System not found: Amstrad GX4000
RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: width=320 height=240
RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: max_width=1600 max_height=1200
RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: aspect_ratio=0.000000

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: AV_INFO: fps=60.000000 sample_rate=48000.000000
RetroArch [ERROR] :: ctx_init :: Failed to bind API (#0, version 0.0) on context driver "d3d".
Retro unload_game
Retro DeInit

And here’s my current config: http://pastebin.com/EwQb0nC7

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

You need those under [system]/mess/hash directory

I grabbed “gx4000.xml” from that page and put it in [system]\mess\hash directory and it didn’t work. The error I get is still the same about not finding a driver.

The game I’m testing (Batman for Amstrad GX4000) is different than what is in the XML. The XML looks for a “batman.bin.” I even tried changing the XML to match the filename, CRC and SHA-1 of my file without success - the error is still the same about a driver not being found.