Can RetroArch be better interface for MAME in the future?

ROM’s work fine (I’m happy with that) but I believe RetroArch MAME support is one area where RetroArch can really get so much better in the future. All other things in RetroArch are done pretty well except this (at least for my needs). For example lot of the hotkeys that RetroArch uses are not in sync with hotkeys MAME uses, same with controls which sometimes interfere with each other and when I try to remap them inside of MAME options (tab key) I get double keys. Ability to import MAME ROMs on RetroArch playlist would be nice too. I would most of all like too see all menus you can enter in MAME moved to RetroArch’s “quick menu” if that’s possible.

That being said I believe RetroArch could be great interface for using MAME (even best) but the question is when.

1 Like

For hotkey clashing , you can setup an hotkey like f12 or what ever , then you will have no problem. and you should use RA hotkeys by hitting f12+ key.

For all mame builtin menu in RA quick menu ,it’s a wast of time . it’s a hudge works and things can change between version. so hard to maintain.

Besides mapping the “Enable Hotkey”, there is also the “Game Focus” toggle (set to scroll lock by default) that disables all RetroArch keyboard input in favor of the core’s own input, while joypad input is unaffected.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses! So how can I re-enable hotkeys (or keyboard) again after disabling and why do I get double keys when I try to remap key inside of mame? for example when I press D-pad up it sets key to D-pad up and keyboard up pressed together. That’s strange.

Which MAME core are you using?

MAME 2016 (it’s 0.174 I think)

mame-hotkey enable/disable in quickmenu would be great

1 Like

Actually I would like to do the opposite of what are you suggesting. I never liked how every function has to have hotkey by default in MAME with no easy way of removing all hotkeys I don’t need. I would like to remove all hotkeys and leave just few I actually use. This way I would have more room for remapping and I wouldn’t have to worry about accidentally pressing some key and not knowing how to turn it off.