Can Retroarch write to an external SD card?

I recently updated my config to read content from an external SD card. I put all my games, bios, configs, and saves on it. Aside from the roms, I’m not sure if this was a good idea or not.

I cannot get any games to create a savestate. I don’t think RA can create srm either, or update configs and bios. I am able to run games from zips, though I’m not sure how it can extract there if RA is not able to write on it.

Do i need to move everything except the roms back to their original places?

That’s not retroarch’s fault, that’s google’s fault. They introduced these policies in kitkat

If you are rooted you can fix it with this:

The main config is always in the internal SD btw, you can’t change it’s location.

That doesn’t work on Marshmallow, unfortunately.

but on android 6 you can just use the SD as internal storage and be done with it. That’s what I do in CM13 in one of my shield portables

I think we need to do the manual authorization process for ext sdcard permissions on android 6 but none of use have a device that needs this.

Honestly, the more I looked at that option, the less I liked it. The main problem is that using the MicroSD as internal storage prevents you from using it with anything else—this includes the original device if it’s ever reflashed.

what? you can reuse the SD just fine, just format it and start again, it’s really the best thing that has happened to android external storage. You can’t use it to share data but in this day and age it’s easier to transfer over network

[QUOTE=Radius;34132]That’s not retroarch’s fault, that’s google’s fault. They introduced these policies in kitkat

If you are rooted you can fix it with this:

The main config is always in the internal SD btw, you can’t change it’s location.[/QUOTE] I know, but I have my overrides, remaps, glslp & core options configs stored on external SD. I don’t think these can be updated if RA can’t write to it.

I don’t wanna touch root ever again, i tried it once but it’s just not for me. To quote Uncle Ben, with great power comes great responsibility. If i need to store stuff on internal SD, I could just use FolderSync to listen for changes to a folder and mirror any files over to the external SD.

that would need root too. tbh there is nothing wrong with root, just deny permissions to everything you don’t trust.

but hey, to each it’s own

I’m on stock Lollipop and can sync files from internal SD to external SD, and vice versa with no problems. No idea about Marshmallow or Kitkat though.