Can Shaders Be Run On Intel HD Graphics?

Hello. I mainly run crt-easymode on my PC (6600K 1060) when playing NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA. I am thinking about buying a cheap refurb USFF PC for running these on my TV. The cheapest one i can find that isn’t a core 2 duo has a Celeron G1610 with “Intel® HD Graphics”. The only info available at Intel says Base Frequency 650 MHz Max 1.05 GHz. Is that enough to run easymode?

EDIT: I found one with a i5-2500S and Intel® HD Graphics 2000 for a bit cheaper. Same question :smiley:

EDIT2: I found one with a i5-3570S and Intel® HD Graphics 2500 for the same price as the first. Same question :smiley:

Some Shaders should work I have a o-droid and it runs most shaders well.

Thanks for the reply. I found one with an i5-2400S and Intel® HD Graphics 2000 for about the same price.

With easymode and the cores you mentioned you should have no problems whatsoever. Well, maybe with bsnes and hard sync enabled…

I’ve run Beetle PSX on my laptop with an i5-7200U (HD Graphics 620) and a 4K display. CRT-Hyllian was fine, although there was some slowdown with CRT-Aperture or heavier.

Thanks. Sounds promising :stuck_out_tongue:

I have HD3000 gfx on my laptop and it runs them fine. I’ve never used HD2000 gfx, but I would guess regular easymode would be okay but the halation version might have issues.

Thanks. I bought the one with the i5-3570S (HD Graphics 2500) guess i will find out! :sunglasses:

Let us know how it goes, I enjoy seeing what onboard graphics can do. I intend to build a GPU-less game system at some point lol

I scored one of these on craigslist for 40$. Pretty much the same specs you’ve got. It’s got 3570S / Intel HD 2500 and seems to work just fine for shaders and all the low end platforms. PS1 / Dreamcast it chugs though, although I’m not sure thats because of shaders.

Will do SkyHighGam3r.

zachmorris are you running win10? I’m being told “RetroArch shaders can be run on some IntelHD chips, but anything from the HD3000 series and older won’t work with Windows 10, because Intel doesn’t officially support Windows 10 and the MS-provided driver doesn’t offer some support RetroArch needs. I’ve tried installing RetroArch on my laptop and it just won’t work because of that.” on another forum :confused:

I’m running Linux / LibreElec

My Pentium G4500 with Intel® HD Graphics 530 can do some really nice shaders.

Way more powerful that the ones im looking at hehe.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-Intel-HD-2500-Desktop-105-GHz/m33102vsm7696

So far just testing SNES (using BSNES Proformance core) its hit and miss. I like to use Yoshis Island to test. The tittle screen where the island spins shows 56 FPS with easymode :confused:. If i use CRT-Pi i get full 60 with a slight hickup every few mins :confused:

For a less demanding core, is it worth using BSNES Pro over SNES9x?

Edit: Tested a bunch of stuff and with GPU hard sync its not 100% with easy-mode on anything over NES. It’s not horrible but its not a solid 60 FPS. Dips a frame or 5 here and there. Super slow with PSX.

EDIT2: crt-hyllian seems to work well. Guess i will use that :slight_smile:

Even bsnes performance is pretty heavy - though bsnes-mercury should be a bit quicker. The list of games that don’t run properly in snes9x (and the various lighter snes9x-20XX cores) is quite small.

Yea, i switched to 9x. Just barely works with easymode. I can get most systems running quite well with easymode if i turn off hard gpu sync but im not sure it’s worth turning it off. It’s supposed to have less input lag but im not sure i can tell the difference…

Hard GPU Sync 0 frames greatly increases the CPU requirements for a core. You can still get some latency reduction with a lower impact by setting the frames to 1 instead.

Thanks, ill try that out tomorrow :smile: