Can someone help me with Retroarch please

Hi everyone, I hope I’ve posted this in the correct place but I really need some help. I have placed my retroarch in the emulators folder on launchbox. the problem I’m having is as soon as I try to open retroarch the window attempts to open for 2 seconds then shuts straight away ???. I really have no clue why it’s doing this or how to fix it so I really hope someone can help me.

I have a hp 8200 i7 2600 3.4ghz with 8gb of dd3ram, I have intel hd graphics 2000, running windows 10 pro

I apricate any help anyone can give me

We can’t really support launchbox, but we’re happy to help with anything that’s caused by / related to RetroArch.

Did you take the retroarch.exe out of its directory?

Hi Hunter, thanks for messaging don’t worry I realised that you wouldn’t support launchbox, it’s retroarch I want to get to work tho. I downloaded retroarch then unzipped it all into it’s folder and put it in my c: drive, I haven’t removed anything from the folder.

Ah, ok. Is the RetroArch directory outside of your user path (e.g., Program Files, etc.)? If so, it’s not going to work because of some permissions stuff.

I’ve just tried installing retroarch with the installer and it still does the same I double click it, it opens then shuts straight away ?

Ok, that doesn’t answer my question, but I’m going to assume that you are not running it from some non-user-writeable location. Do you have directx 9.0c installed? Try running the installer from this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Other than that, can you tell me what GPU you have?

It said DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has already been installed. No installation is necessary, sorry on the last question no I’m not running it from a non user writeable location. how can I find out what GPU I have, sorry I’m a noob I know

I took some screen shots, I hope that is what you was after

All the info is on this txt file as well http://m.uploadedit.com/bbtc/1535657727190.txt wasn’t sure how to add it in the box so uploaded it

Ok, as I feared, you have an older Intel chipset, which they purposely don’t make Win10 drivers for, so you’re stuck with Windows’ crappy “GDI” generic driver.

You’ll need to go into your RetroArch directory and open your retroarch.cfg in a text editor and add these lines:

video_driver = "d3d9"
menu_driver = "rgui"

You should hopefully be able to launch then. You won’t be able to use the fancy XMB menu, but whatever. You’ll need to use Cg shaders, FYI.

So if I took off windows 10 and went to windows 7 would that not help ? also once I get a new graphics card will it fix the problem. Ill have a go at editing the retroarch.cfg file now

hmmm just edited the 2 things you put and it still opens and closes, don’t think I did it wrong ?

You may have done it wrong, or there may be something else that’s causing it to close. The things I mentioned were certainly problems, but there may be one or more additional problems afoot.

Yes, switching to Win7 would fix it (at least, the problems I mentioned), and yes, installing a dedicated gfx card (more importantly, one with actual drivers, which is the real issue here) would fix it, as well.