Can the image be Sharper?

I remember a while back when I was working on Vectrex, And getting that set up I was torn between using MESS and one of the retro arch cores. I eventually settle down retro arch but something I had noticed was the fact that retro arch presents a soft image unlike my mess version which was razor sharp, is there a setting in retro Arch to sharpen the video and Brighten it ?

If you’re using the vecx core, there’s a core option to increase the internal resolution, which will make it less pixellated, if that’s what you mean.

I am using retroarch for the Atari 2600 7800 ColecoVision Nintendo Super Nintendo Atari lynx and vectrex,. And I just feel in my humble opinion that the image is soft not Sharp for all the cores I use. Is there a sharpness control to increase?

settings->video->bilinear filtering = off

then experiment with shaders.

Thanks for your reply Hunter sorry it took me so long to get back to you it’s not that it’s pixelated it’s just that the vector graphics are not razor sharp they seem a little fat

Thank you ever so much your idea definitely helped sharpen my other systems Genesis Atari Nintendo Etc I still am stuck with vectrex the vector graphics are not laser Sharp

If that’s in Mame, you need to go into the Core Options and activate the alternate rendering, which forces the resolution you choose for that.
That’s not really user friendly as you don’t want that for other non vector games.

I am using the Vectrex core. That I feel is NOT laser sharp. In Mame/Mess. It is razor sharp the way a Vector Graphic should be. is there a setting to sharpen the Vectrex core?

The issue is that the core draws the lines using the bresenham algorithm, which isn’t anti-aliased by definition. You can increase the internal resolution via core option and/or apply anti-aliasing shaders, but that’s just a limitation of the algorithm.

Hunter how do I find that Core Option ?

Load up some content and go back into the menu. It should take you to the quick menu, where you can see options for making savestates, etc. The ‘options’ submenu there is the core options menu. If you go into it, that should be the only option in there. It’s a multiplier, so the values are 1x-4x.

Thanks I will give it a try this weekend when I got time