Cannot get RetroArch to load controller profile

Hello,

In RA I configure my controller Inputs to map all my buttons the way I want - works great, can play games. (This is in the Main Menu / Settings / Inputs panel). I then Save the Input settings – I see the file created correctly for my controller.

I re-start RetroArch and it DOES NOT LOAD these mappings. I cannot figure out why! No matter what I do the mappings do not automatically reload when I restart RA. Contents of the cfg file are below. Help!

input_driver = “udev” input_device = “HID 0838:8918” input_device_display_name = “AtGames Legends Utimate Control Panel” input_vendor_id = “2104” input_product_id = “35096”

input_a_btn = “2” input_a_btn_label = “B” input_b_btn = “1” input_a_btn_label = “A” input_x_btn = “3” input_a_btn_label = “Y” input_y_btn = “0” input_a_btn_label = “X”

input_select_btn = “6” input_select_btn_label = “Back” input_start_btn = “9” input_start_btn_label = “P1”

input_l_btn = “5” input_l_btn_label = “Z” input_r_btn = “7” input_l_btn_label = “C”

input_up_btn = “h0up” input_up_btn_label = “Joystick Up” input_down_btn = “h0down” input_down_btn_label = “Joystick Down” input_left_btn = “h0left” input_left_btn_label = “Joystick Left” input_right_btn = “h0right” input_right_btn_label = “Joystick Right”

input_l2_axis = “+2” input_r2_axis = “+5” input_l_x_plus_axis = “+0” input_l_x_minus_axis = “-0” input_l_y_plus_axis = “+1” input_l_y_minus_axis = “-1” input_r_x_plus_axis = “+3” input_r_x_minus_axis = “-3” input_r_y_plus_axis = “+4” input_r_y_minus_axis = “-4”

How did you install? If you’re using the snap package, does it recognize it if you unplug/replug it while a game is running?

i dont know what you mean by “how did i install” - how did i install RetroArch?

The machine recognizes the controller when I plug it in. It just won’t load my autoconfig.

Yes, how did you install RetroArch. Snap and flatpak can have some weird limitations/bugs sometimes related to their sandboxing and distro-controlled packages typically put things in weird, root-owned locations because they expect you to use packages for cores, assets, etc. instead of the online updater.

Ok, so you get a notification that says “blah blah gamepad not configured, using fallback”? And then it continues giving you that notification even after you’ve made an autoconfig profile and verified that the file exists?

I am using a RaspberryPi image that has RetroArch pre-installed. I can get to the menu, config the buttons how I want them, and save the input config. When I exit and run RetroArch again, that same config does not seem to auto-load.

In the logs, I see this: the two pads are identified, but not by name.

[INFO] [Video]: Graphics driver did not initialize an input driver. Attempting to pick a suitable driver.
[INFO] [udev]: Keyboard #0: "Logitech K400" (/dev/input/event4).
[INFO] [udev]: Keyboard #1: "" (/dev/input/mouse1).
[INFO] [udev]: Keyboard #2: "vc4" (/dev/input/event3).
[INFO] [udev]: Keyboard #3: "vc4" (/dev/input/event7).
[INFO] [udev]: Mouse #0: "HID 0838:8918" (REL) /dev/input/event0
[INFO] [udev]: Mouse #1: "Logitech K400" (REL) /dev/input/event4
[INFO] [udev]: Pad #0 (/dev/input/event1) supports 0 force feedback effects.
[INFO] [udev]: Pad #1 (/dev/input/event2) supports 0 force feedback effects.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "udev".
[INFO] [Video]: Found display server: "null".
[WARN] [udev]: Mouse grab/ungrab feature unavailable.
[INFO] ALSA: Using floating point format.
[INFO] ALSA: Period size: 384 frames
[INFO] ALSA: Buffer size: 1536 frames