Cannot save state or utilize game saves

I’ll try to explain to the best of my abilities. On a very fresh install for the 11th time this week of 1.6 stable from the website. I’ve obtained the following cores. ParaLLEl for Nintendo 64, Snesx9 for Super Nintendo Entertainment System and FCEUX for the original Nintendo. My example games for both in-game saves and save state demonstration is the original Zelda, Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time and these are uncompressed for the sake of things on a freshly formatted flash drive. I’ve attempted to take screenshots on the device but it seems those do not save like they once did as well. To wrap this up punctiliously I will have done the following.

• Load rom with respective core mentioned above.
  • Register a new “Link” character
  • Initiate gameplay and suicide to confirm save
  • Save & Quit which is available in all zelda’s
  • confirm newly registered link success.
  • close content & quit retro arch
  • restart application loading from the last game played in recent history
  • fresh copy with no registered “Links”

Repeat the above process but instead of saving when the game I just attempt to make a save state when the game loads fifteen seconds in and the progress bar for save state sits at 0%. These games are on a flash drive and in previous builds of retroarch I was able to save. My machine is an Android box running 5.0.1 and my retroarch is the 1.6 stable from the website and not from google play. I have even told retroarch to save game data and state data on the USB stick instead of and I still don’t get saves.

Any sense of direction is better than me reformatting and trying again and again. Thanks Retro community.

Did you try setting the save location to somewhere on the internal/local storage first? Google has made it very hard to save to external storage without running through the Java interface.

Other than that, the best course of action is to get a logcat of a (failure to) save.

1 Like

So change directory for save game and save state to something on internal? I thought retroarch did this by default.

Dunno, I think it might be content dir by default. I don’t remember. Anyway, on my Shield ATV, everything worked fine once I set it to [internal storage]/RetroArch/. They’re all just floating around loose in that directory now, which is kinda a mess, but whatever. You’d probably be better off creating a subdirectory in there for it.

1 Like

Hunterk I can’t thank you enough friend for making that meer suggestion because it worked. I dedicated a section on internal specifically for saves and one for save states. Now it works without a problem. Thank you again. My names the same on discord if you ever want to game.

1 Like