Can't disable Xbox orb button

I’m trying my best to get my Xbox 360 controller to do nothing at all when the Xbox Orb button is pressed because people are accidentally pressing it during game play.

I don’t use autoconfig and instead binded my buttons manually.

I have edited the user 1 and user 2 autoconfig files, retroarch.cfg, and the xbox 360.cfg file in the “x” directory and have tried the following command - input_menu_toggle_btn = “99” and have also tried input_menu_toggle_btn = “nul” yet the Orb button is still active.

I have disabled open game bar in Windows 10, too, and set the button to do nothing there.

What can I do to disable this button?

Thanks,

–J

I’ve come up with some specific questions maybe someone can answer for me that might help me figure this out.

First, I don’t use autoconfig, so once I map my buttons and hotkeys, do I have to go to “save autoconfig” or just go to configurations and save current configuration?

Second, and this is I suppose most important, which file (or files) is my button mapping for controller 1/user 1 stored in? What’s the name of that file(s)? I feel like if I can figure out which file is being called for button mapping, maybe I can figure out how to make the Orb button do nothing, which is what I want.

Finally, am I using the right command - input_menu_toggle_btn = “nul” - or is there some other command I need to use to get the Xbox Orb button to do nothing? I’ve tried “nul” and “99” and neither work so I’m either not using the right command or not placing that command in the right file, right?

I’d really appreciate some help with this because people are accidentally pressing this button during game play and it’s taking them out of their game then they don’t know what to do to get back to the game.

Thanks a bunch,

–Jason

It’s been a few days since I created this thread and nobody has had any answers, so since it most likely isn’t something common or simple, I’m offering a $25 payment via PayPal to the first person that can give me the right answer here. This has worked before and is my way of saying thanks for all you folks do and all the time you spend helping people. :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

–Jason

If you’re not using autoconfigs, you don’t need to save your autoconfig. You can save the current configuration or you can quit retroarch from the menu and it should write your changes to file on exit.

if you’re not using autoconfigs, controller mapping goes into the main retroarch.cfg.

input_menu_toggle_btn should be it, yeah.

Thanks Hunter. At least it clears up where I should be looking.

Then why isn’t input menu toggle btn = nul or =99 working? What else could it be?

Good question. “nul” is what I would have recommended… You can try moving it to another button that’s less likely to get pressed accidentally, like L3, and/or try different input drivers, such as ‘raw’.

So if I go to drivers and change the input driver from Xinput (that’s what it’s always been on) to Raw - my controllers will still work since I bind the keys manually? Do I have to rebind?

What do you mean by move it to another button? How would I do that? Move “what” to another button? I’m just trying to get the big Xbox button to not do anything. Or if I could make it just “pause” and “unpause” if pressed again, that would work, too, if I can’t have it do nothing at all, but I don’t know how to do that, either??

Hunter,

I just changed input driver to RAW and kept Joypad driver on Xinput. Made sure autoconfig was turned off and voila! Orb button is now not doing anything, just like I want…On player 1 controller. How do I set it to do the same thing on player 2 controller, though?

Please give me your PayPal address so I can send you payment.

Thanks!!!

–J

Hmm, that’s really strange that p2 controller is acting differently. I didn’t think p2 controller could even get into the menu, as hotkeys are supposed to be for p1 only…

Don’t worry about paypal. I do this for fun :slight_smile:

Ok, first off, I should’ve actually “checked” before “assuming” :slight_smile: that player 2 still went in…I didn’t actually check, though, so no worries, I’m sure it’s fine. I was just “assuming” I would have to set it for player 2, too.

That’s awesome that you do this for fun!!! You’ve helped me before, and I want to take this opportunity to thank you so much for all your time and trouble. Thanks again!!!

There is one problem, though. With the input driver set to Raw instead of Dinput, it broke my mouse input on DS games. I just loaded a DS game and the mouse wasn’t working. Sure enough, I switched the input driver back to Dinput, and it started working just fine.

What can I do about this?

Thanks again,

–J

1 Like

I think Desmume might have some core options for pointer types that you could mess around with. Other than that, you could try using a core override that sets the driver to xinput just for desmume. I know overrides don’t always work with driver changes, but input might be more forgiving than, say, video.

How would I go about changing “just” Desmume to xinput and it not mess with the other ones? That’s the “core override” you’re speaking of? How would I go about that?

I think we’re almost there! Awesome!

load up a game with desmume, go back into the menu, settings > driver, change it to xinput. Go back to the quick menu and choose ‘save core override’. Exit retroarch, relaunch, try to load a DS game and see if the setting sticks.

If not, you can try making an override for it manually, which isn’t too difficult, but let’s avoid it if we can.

Got it! You’re a genius!

Problem solved. Case closed!

Thanks again, Hunter. Much appreciated.

w00t. glad you got it going :slight_smile:

Me too. :slight_smile: Have a great day. You deserve it!