Can't fetch core list on compiled build

Hi, I’ve used Retroarch before on a Raspberry Pi, but recently installed Linux Mint on my main PC and decided to have a go at a compiled version. I successfully followed the guide from https://docs.libretro.com/development/retroarch/compilation/ubuntu/

I followed the guide to the letter; added the stable PPA, cloned git, installed the dependencies and successfully compiled Retroarch. I also used Libretro-super to download and build the Gambatte core.

So far, so good. Then I thought I would just use the built in core downloader to download a few pre-made cores. However, the online updater doesn’t work; it flashes up a message to say it is fetching the list, but then nothing happens. There are no lists of cores.

I’ve checked my retroarch.cfg file and it is correctly showing

core_updater_buildbot_cores_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/latest/"

I tried dropping the Buildbot url into a web browser and I can see the cores list. But for some reason Retroarch doesn’t want to know. I was successfully able to download the Assets, so it doesn’t seem to be a problem with Retroarch having net access. I also tried replacing “http” with “https”. Still no dice.

This one has me stumped. Any ideas? I tried running Retroarch with sudo to see if that would help; it didn’t.

1 Like

Nevermind, I fixed it!

For anyone else stumped, what I did in the Online Updater section, I clicked on “Update databases” and then “Update Core Info files”. Then when I went back into Core Downloader, the list had fully populated and I could download and install cores from Buildbot.

Very strange, saw no documentation to perform these steps. But anyway, it’s fixed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a similar problem but couldn’t find any solution.

[ERROR] Download of 'database-rdb.zip' failed: Download failed.
[ERROR] [core updater] Download of core list 'http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/latest/.index-extended' failed: unknown

cfg:

core_updater_buildbot_assets_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/"
core_updater_buildbot_cores_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/latest/"

RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git a16f3d2f7c) on Kubuntu 20.04.1 installed from official nightly PPA. Tried stable and a snap installation aswell, but with the same result.

Thanks for the solution! I couldn’t figure out what the problem was but that immediately fixed it for me