Can't get Bluetooth Keyboard to work. Please help?

So I’ve got the input sort of half-working. I’m running the latest Build from the play store. I’m on a Huawei Mediapad X2 with an iBoost bluetooth keyboard, running the Nestopia v1.48-WIP core.

I’m trying to set up Z and X as A and B inputs, and the menu accepts the input just fine, but when I load the game, those keys are unresponsive. It works if I hold alt, but I can’t play the whole of metroid holding the alt key.

I’ve tried holding alt or long-pressing alt in the actual binding settings, but that trick seems to no longer work. Weirder still is that I can use control and alt just fine as inputs in-game. It’s just the letter keys on the keyboard that don’t work. ANY of them. I’ve also tried editing the .cfg file in settings to change the input_driver="?" to different things, but none of those suggestions I’ve found have worked either.

I also have a PS4 controller that I can’t get to work either. I’d be happy to use either input method, as long as SOMETHING works. Has anyone got any ideas?

For the ps4 controller try the sixaxis app or tincore, with tincore you can also remap your keyboard, if you are not root try the app buttons remapper or gamekeyboard+ also try the app game controller tester to check the input of your keyboard and controller. Does your keyboard or controller work on other emulators?

I tried and failed to understand tincore. I am rooted, but I felt pretty lost. I may try again, because gamekeyboard+ didn’t work, and I’m currently failing to get sixaxis app to work with my DS4. Which is hella weird because it works fine within android itself. I set it up to emulate a native gamepad. Even the touchpad works for tapping. But as soon as I open retroarch I lose all responsiveness.

Tincore has a wiki if you are having trouble: http://tincore.freewiki.in/index.php/Usage:_Simulate_Controller

What version of Android do you have on your Huawei Mediapad X2? When on Marshmallow,many users have mentioned issues with touch access and the like,I myself having issues on a Shield TV where my Logitech K400’s mousepad no longer works for touching the Retropad buttons or the cheat entering keyboard,breaking functionality for that method of input,yet standalone Mupen64Plus (AE/FZ) still allows me to touch its onscreen controls just fine because of a different way of handling it.

Being rooted,you could have a not-so-good custom ROM version messing with your input such as bluetooth acting odd or other oddities.

These problems make me wish someone would make a branch that uses a more compatible method for input (like what AE/FZ uses) in the entire RA app so touch via mouse can work again for the menus and Retropad plus many other input frustrations can also be fixed such as the difficulty of adding cheats with the lack of N64 cheat access being the most irritating aspect.