Can't get exclusive fullscreen working (Windows 8.1)

I’ve been trying a bunch of different things, switching from vulkan to gl driver, updating RetroArch, switching to the latest nightly build, etc. and I just can’t get exclusive fullscreen to work, it seems? There’s no apparent difference between windowed and traditional fullscreen. No matter my settings, if I alt-tab I still see RetroArch in the background and behind my taskbar. There isn’t the typical slow transition from alt-tabbing out, or anything.

I’d share my retroarch.cfg but I’m not sure how to cleanly get it in here and when I had it with the preformatted text option it said I had too many characters to post. But, anyway, I do have it set to fullscreen in the cfg and windowed off. I have it set to 1920x1080 right now but I ultimately want to have it at 3840x2160 for downsampling and fitting cleanly in my 1080p display. That’s part of the reason (besides input lag) that I want to get exclusive fullscreen working, because it seems like I ought to be able to just have RetroArch at 3840x2160 and alt-tab out and have my desktop switch back to 1080p if I can get it working (maybe that’s not right, though).

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong, or what my issue might be? I tried going through my Nvidia control panel to see if there was anything weird that might be interfering with it, but I don’t really know what to look for and couldn’t find anything. Thanks for any help!

did you ever figure this out? im having the same issue. no matter how i set it, wont go into fullscreen exclusive.

Put your config in a github.

I wish it were that simple. Not a config thing as ive tried several versions with bare default configs, even compiled my own builds and ran from a different drive entirely.

I think some people are confusing borderless with true exclusive fullscreen. The issue is something under the hood evidently and is known/open here.

Even ran from a command line with the -f switch - it behaves and is identified as something similar to borderless. nvfbc wont pick it up, nor will other frontends designed with features affected by fullscreen or otherwise.