Can't get it to work, always says 'no cores available'

Hi everyone. RetroArch seems great, but it seems that I can’t get it to work properly.

I unzipped the whole package and I’ve downloaded a few ‘cores’, (Nestopia, bsnes accuracy, genesis plus gx, prosystem, stella, etc.), I was able to put all my roms inside a ‘ROMz’ subfolder under RetroArch root, I then created subfolders depending on the console. Seems to work great since I see different looking controllers on the menu and I can see all the games related to that console. Great.

When I browse on a game (let say, 1942 on the NES) that I can see on the drop-down menu, when I hit ‘Run’, it always says ‘No cores available’, it says that to about every games on every consoles (I tried with NES, SNES, Genesis). I used the Online Updater and I updated everything there. I also loaded the right core, I can see it on the bottom left corner.

My cores are located there on my PC : C:\Users\Patrick\Desktop\RetroArch\cores, you can see on one of the pictures it’s seems to be the right folder for cores.

And I know it works, if I load the core with the ‘File > Load Core’ menu with the mouse and then load a game with the ‘File > Load Content’ and then load a ROM…, it works, but now I want to make it work by browsing the menu with the directory I scanned and when I press ‘Run’, it will run and stop telling me there’s no core available, it is there.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Go into Directory settings, Core Info Dir and set that to the info directory inside your RetroArch directory.

Sorry for the late response Awakened, but you got it right, it works now, and it works well. Thanks a lot.

Sometimes when I launch it, it ‘loses’ it’s config for that dir, I manually set it back and it’s ok. Weird.

Thanks again.

No problem! Another solution would be to move the files in the info folder into the cores folder. If you do that, even if the info directory is reset somehow it should still find them since that was the original location for info files. RA will still look there for them even when the info directory isn’t set.

Even newer user here!

Having the same issue as the OP, copied the files from /info to /cores with no success, same as before?

The info directory is set by default now (at least in nightlies, not sure about 1.3.6) so this shouldn’t be an issue anymore. I would think they would still work if you moved them to cores.

It’s possible you don’t have the core info files for whatever reason. You can always press “Update Core Info Files” in the updater to have RA grab them.

I possibly had a bad romset?

I deleted and re-installed RA, then used a secondary romset I have. Works perfect!

Thank you for your time!

I have a similar problem but even when I go to “Directory” within Retroarch is still says “No Information Available”. It says that just about wherever I go in Retroarch. I can only reply to this message because I can’t figure out how to post here. I know; n00b alert.