Can't get sane controller setup

I’ve got two wireless 360 controllers, and I’ve tried pretty much everything to get them configured correctly.

If I use autoconfig (with autoconfig updated): Start exits everything. Not just the emulator window, but retrocore menu at the same time. B-button becomes a multifunction button with the function that should be on the A-button, as well as toggling some kind of turbo on and off. Super Mario becomes Super Weird with every jump toggling turbo mode. A-button seemingly does… nothing at all.

I’ve deleted everything and started from scratch 10+ times, tried both 32 and 64-bit, autoconfig and manual config and can’t get this working. At all.

What is going on? It works Just Fine ™ with the same controllers on retropie, but I can’t for the life of me get it working on windows.

If I connect my ipega gamepad, manual configuration works as it should. So something funky happens with the x360 wireless controller config.

I’m not using wireless controllers, but I have gamecube, SNES, and playstation controllers wired up via usb adapter, and have never been able to get retroarch to allow me to map controls to any controllers besides the 1st wired xbox360 i have. This has been since version like 1.2 i think. I am only able to use retroarch for handheld systems because of this, since they are only one player. I can’t believe they haven’t figured out how to get retroarch to recognize every controller plugged into a usb adapter/port. Even my frontend (launchbox) can recognize and use every controller you have plugged in to navigate it’s interface. Please retroarch team, figure this out.