Can't launch RetroArch on Shield TV?

I’m new to RetroArch so apologies if I’m missing something obvious… I’ve tried the stable 1.2.2 version & the nightly 11/08 build but both quit straight back to my Shield home screen is there a simple fix for this?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=Miseryguts;30522]I’m new to RetroArch so apologies if I’m missing something obvious… I’ve tried the stable 1.2.2 version & the nightly 11/08 build but both quit straight back to my Shield home screen is there a simple fix for this?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded mine from playstore within the shield and it works fine, O.o

[QUOTE=Miseryguts;30522]I’m new to RetroArch so apologies if I’m missing something obvious… I’ve tried the stable 1.2.2 version & the nightly 11/08 build but both quit straight back to my Shield home screen is there a simple fix for this?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I am having a similar issue. I’m trying to run RetroArch on my Nexus Player (Android 6.0), and when I click “Load RetroArch” it doesn’t kick me back home, but it loads a black menu that I am unable to interact with in any way. It appears to crash, although the clock in the corner continues progressing. If I try to load it again, I get the same screen but with an overlay of virtual gamepad controls. I am unable to click/select anything and I cannot navigate the menu at all.

I don’t see the spiffy red menu that i see in screenshots, just a plain black menu with white text in the system font.

I found RetroArch on my Nexus Player’s Play Store, but the next day when I decided to install it, I could no longer find it. So i installed it from the Play Store website, telling it to install to my Nexus Player. I have since uninstalled that and tried downloading it directly from libretro.com. But both packages give me the same result.

If you’re getting white text on black background, it means it can’t find your menu assets, so go to the online updater and update your assets.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I am unable to interact with the menu in any way. I have tried with my wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse, the Nexus Player remote, and an IR remote I have working with the Nexus. The very top menu item, “Load Cores” I think, is the only thing that remains highlighted, but I cannot actually select it. I cannot move down to the “Online Updater” option. Aside from the clock in the lower right corner, the menu appears to be frozen/hanging/locked-up. However, when I press a button on one of those input methods I mentioned above, the little pop-up notification in the lower-right corner does appear, telling me that an input has been detected.

If the clock is progressing it isn’t crashing. Weird that it doesn’t work, I added profiles for both the remote and the gamepad a while back.

Correct, it’s not crashed. The clock progresses and there’s an input recognition notification that pops up the first time I press a button on one of those 3 control methods. But it’s just stuck on that menu screen, white text on a black background, and there’s no way to move the selection up or down or actually make a selection.

I found this other thread where the OP seems to be having the exact same issue: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4250

It’s really confusing and frustrating that it just flat doesn’t work. I was hoping that RetroArch might be a more streamlined solution to my emulation needs, rather than using completely separate, stand-alone emulator apps for every single console. But I’m about ready to throw up my hands and be done with it and go back to piecemealing it.

Since you don’t have assets, I’m guessing you don’t have autoconfig profiles, either. Perhaps they’re there and your path settings just don’t point to the right place? A peculiarity of the platform, maybe, since someone else had the same experience?

But I’m about ready to throw up my hands and be done with it and go back to piecemealing it. Ok. glhf.

So does that mean there is probably no way to remedy this issue without an update to the app?

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the way that RetroArch or LibRetro works or loads to understand what’s going on and offer any meaningful information that could be applied to a fix.

I just reinstalled retroarch on my Shield ATV and everything was there from the get-go. Not sure what’s going on your device but it seems the anomally is on your side.

There is a guy with a nexus tv on our IRC I’ll see if he can reproduce.

[QUOTE=Radius;30935]I just reinstalled retroarch on my Shield ATV and everything was there from the get-go.Not sure what’s going on your device but it seems the anomally is on your side.

There is a guy with a nexus tv on our IRC I’ll see if he can reproduce.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate it. I’m really hoping I can get this working somehow. I’m eager to test it out and see how RetroArch works/looks/behaves. I just have no idea where to even start with troubleshooting, especially since I’m not rooted.