Can't load save states

Hello. I’m having some trouble loading save states in my game. I’m only using retroarch, and I’ve tried setting the directories to the saves states I want. But it somehow keeps reverting back to the original directories. How can I access the retroarch directory to just copy and paste my save states and cores?

1 Like

By default, RetroArch puts cores and savestates into /data/data/com.retroarch/*. That directory needs root to access, though. You should be able to change locations via settings > directory settings in the RGUI menu (i.e., not the Android JNI menu that it starts in).

1 Like

Well, I tried changing the directory from the first menu, then loaded retroarch and changed it in that menu. It still doesn’t load, just says “failed to load from” ect ect.

1 Like

It also keeps reverting back to the original directory every time I exit a menu. Not sure why.

1 Like

What are you trying to set it to? Are you exiting retroarch cleanly? does the “Save New Configuration” option work?

Does the first run message show every time you start?

1 Like

/storage/Sdcard/roms/savestates is where I’m trying to save it, yes clean exit, it saves the configuration but loads different ones when I enter/exit, and yes.

Odd, I think maybe you have some old lingering config. If you don’t have any saves you can lose in the app dir try cleaning app data and trying again. We’ve fixed a few things already since 1.2, maybe you shoud try the latest nightly, I’ve done some things with the folders and all is working fine on the 5 devices I tested.

These are very recent (today) so it might improve the things for you over 1.2

• Stock 1st Gen Moto G (kitkat)
  • Stock 1st Gen Nexus 7 (kitkat)
  • Stock 2nd Gen Nexus 7 (lollypop)
  • Rooted Shield Tablet (lollypop)
  • Rooted Nexus 5 (lollypop)

I’ve cleared my data, uninstalled retroarch, reinstalled retroarch, and set my directories to /storage/sdcard0/roms, and it still won’t recognize my save states. Everything else works fine, just won’t load them. What am I doing wrong?

Ok but are the paths sticking? That’s a whooooole different issue. Savesates are most of the time not compatible between emulator versions. Savefiles (SRM) usually are but staes are not.

I just noticed, for the safer stars that

Sorry, I just noticed for the save states they are not.

but are the settings sticking?

Yes, the settings are sticking. The directories are going where I tell them to go. It just won’t load my save states. Why is it not loading them? What am I doing wrong? Can retroarch simply not play it’s own files? I love this emulator, but I’m getting more and more frustrated with it with every "failed to load " message that I get. I have a lot of play time in the games I have, and I’d rather not start over.

save states are not portable between versions, if you made saves on 1.0.0.2 those may not work on 1.2 (actually core versions are what matter) this is a sad reality for many emulators

If you make a new save and try to load, does that work?

Yes, making new saves and loading them works fine. The problem is all the time and effort I’ve lost as it seems there is no way for me to load my old data. It’s pretty sad and unfortunate that I would lose all that work, but hey. Guess I know how well it works now.

If you still have the old version available somewhere, you can load the old savestates, do an in-game save (if available; they’re usually stable across versions and even other emus) and then load that in the new version.