Can't navigate menu with controller

I recently got retroarch on the Raspberry Pi and I want to know if there is a way to load the cores and ROMs only using a USB controller, I configured the controller but I can only use it to play games, not control the menu.

That’s weird. Whatever controls the games should also control the menu.

will that work in a Linux terminal?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean, but yeah, you can launch from a terminal and then control RetroArch using the pad.

No, I mean is there a retroarch_debug.exe in the Raspberry Pi version.

oh, are you referring to my signature? If so, no, there’s no retroarch_debug executable needed in linux because you can just launch the regular executable with --menu --verbose --log-file whatever.txt to do the same thing.

I launched retroarch through the terminal and it still doesn’t work, here is the content to the only .txt file I could find in the retroarch folder tvservice -e "CEA 1"fbset -xres 640 -yres 480 -vxres 640 -vyres 480sleep 1syncnice -n -10 ./retroarch -c cfg/pce.cfg "$1"tvservice -e "DMT 39"sleep 1fbset -xres 1360 -yres 768 -vxres 1360 -vyres 768sudo /etc/init.d/dropbear start

I just tested out some stuff and when I click execute instead of execute from terminal, the controller works on the menu, the only problem now is that if I run retroarch automatically on startup from the rc.local file the controller doesn’t work. Can I make Retroarch execute not from the terminal with a command on the rc.local file?

Now the controller works on the menu if I let the Pi boot up and then run Retroarch. If I run retroarch automatically on startup the controller doesn’t work. How can I make my controller work if Retroarch automatically starts?

that file is unrelated. Your log will be in whichever directory you launched from, presumably ~/.

I don’t imagine a log will tell us much useful information in this case, though.

All I know is that I need to wait for my Raspberry Pi to completely boot up and load into the desktop before it runs Retroarch if I want my controller to work.

Ah, ok, so you’re trying to run without X? If so, check this doc:

I read the doc but I couldn’t find a 99-evdev.rules file on my Pi.

I read the doc but I’m still kind of confused, would I have to set up udev permissions? If so, I can’t find a 99-evdev.rules file on my Pi.