Cant play the last Parallel core

I cant load the last parallel core. The download goes ok, but when i select it, just stays in “1.6.7 - No Core” under windows 10 and every combination of drivers. Any other core loads ok. And load a rom with the core gives me a error “Failed to open libretro core”. The previous parallel cores works ok, but the last one dont work for me.

anything helpful in a log/backtrace?

the debug build gives me this

[ERROR] Failed to open libretro core: “E:\Variado\cores\parallel_n64_libretro.dll”

[ERROR] Error(s): unknown error 126

looks like there’s something wrong with the builds. We’ll have it fixed in a couple of days, at most, I’m sure.

EDIT: well, it looks like it loads fine from CLI, just not from GUI. However, Twinaphex tested it on his Windows machine and it loads fine from GUI for him. So, dunno what’s going. We’ll keep digging around.

2 Likes

The latest Parallel core just crashes Retroarch as soon as i start any game at all. Is there any way to roll back to the previous version? Saying that tho the previous version had some serious garbled graphics on Goldeneye… Never did get to the bottom of that either :slight_smile:

It seems the core is dynamically linking to some MSVC libs. Can you try installing the MSVC C++ redist files and see if that helps? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Long-term, we will want to statically link those libs, but I wanted to make sure that’s actually what’s going wrong.

With the visual c 2017 x 64, the core worked ok for me.

1 Like

Installed latest MSVC 2017 and srill the same outcome, instant crash upon loading a game.

1 Like

@hunterk + @DukeJP yep guys am on Windows 10 and installing the 2017 MSVC libs + rebooting did the trick. Note that I had Vulkan on from another core so was still crashing and about to post but when I saw that in the logs and switched driver all good now! Re N64, looking super smooth too!!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I guess we’ll need a log if the MSVC redist didn’t fix it up for you, since it sounds like something else is amiss for you.

Heres a link to my log. https://paste.ee/p/0m4XI

If i try to load an N64 game using the debug.exe instead of crashing, i get a black screen with “paused” in the bottom left corner and have to close the program to exit.

MASSIVE EDIT: It seems that i was also using Vulkan, after chnging that i have n64 goodness using the Parallel core :slight_smile:

I thought the Parallel core was designed for vulkan though? Am i wrong there?

eyyyy, glad you got it going!

The ParaLLEl RDP plugin is indeed vulkan-specific but we just renamed our heavily-modified mupen64plus+ParaLLEl-plugin core after the plugin itself, since that was the main draw for it and to avoid confusion with the other closer-to-upstream mupen64plus-libretro. Multithreaded angrylion also fits in with the name since it, too, is “parallel LLE”.

However, the multithreaded angrylion plugin is software-rendered (i.e., rendered on the CPU instead of on the GPU like with the ParaLLEl plugin), so it should be able to work with any video driver (even d3d), though people have reported issues using it with vulkan for some reason.

Do you know how difficult it would be to add MSAA to parallel? It’s in the core options for glupen but not in parallel. Even if it only worked for gliden64, it would be nice to have.

1 Like

It is indeed tied to GLideN64, which doesn’t work in ParaLLEl currently. If/when it’s working in ParaLLEl, we can see about exposing those options.

1 Like

I had the same problem. Was running Vulkan driver fine but after updating the core it stopped liking that driver setting. I switched to the GL driver, restarted Retroarch and it’s working again. On the downside Rogue Squadron is back to crashing.

The vulkan renderer is currently not being included in the Windows builds in favor of the threaded angrylion plugin. To use it, set your gfx plugin to angrylion and your RSP to cxd4. Since it’s true software rendering, you can use this plugin with any video driver backend (i.e., GL, Vulkan, even D3D).

Thanks hunterk, That fixed the problem. Funny I had to get a game lto aunch before I could configure the core options for angrylion. I was able to get there by changing Retroarch’s driver from Vulkan to GL and restarting Retroarch.

Once I could get to the core options and change to your setting I could get Rogue Squadron running again. The Empire is in trouble this Holiday Season. Thanks again, =D

1 Like