Can't remap overlay controls

I’m using Retroarch for android and quite like the default overlay. I just want to slightly modify the layout by moving start closer to the right side and move l1 to where r2 is, but I can’t seem to remap any of the buttons. Any changes I make in the quick menu controls have no effect in game regardless of core. I tried to change the overlay instead, which Retroarch says it’s using ‘retropad.cfg’ by default. The only file of that name I could find was in /data/user/0/com.retroarch/overlays/gamepadd/retropad, but the cfg file there uses png buttons that are not in the default overlay. I tried modifying it anyway, but no buttons showed on screen when I loaded it. Does anyone have any idea how I can modify the android onscreen controls?

Remapping (i.e., swapping button functions around) is in the nightly builds but not in 1.7.2 stable.

If you want to modify an overlay without having root (since they’re stored in the application’s directory by default), you’ll need to make a directory/folder somewhere user-writeable and then go to settings > directory and point your ‘overlay’ directory setting to it. Then, go to the online updater and update your overlays and it will copy a fresh set into your newly made directory.

From there, you can edit them as you see fit. The one you’re looking for is in flat/retropad, I think.

1 Like

@hunterk while this topic is about. Do you know if is possible to combine a gamepad and overlay to gain additional buttons?

Was thinking about it for Atari5200 but not even tested the A800 core yet to see the options. Also if the mapping analouges works well, there should be enough buttons anyway. now rambling :slight_smile: but my first thought was extra buttons with an overlay

Not that I know of. I believe they both (that is, physical gamepad and overlay) both share the retropad, rather than presenting 2 separate retropads. It could be very useful for people using controllers with limited buttons, though, like SNES pads. You could have your game functions on the pad and menu, savestate, R2/L2, etc. on the overlay.

I am rooted, but thanks for explaining how to more easily access the overlays. Also, you’re right flat is the layout I’m trying to change, not sure why I could only find 1 retropad.cfg earlier. Your instructions worked great thanks again!

1 Like