Can't select/run a core

Hi, all!

Just installed RetroArc on Ubuntu 15.04 and was able to play some SNES games just fine. But then I think my Linux newbieness got me.

When I tried to open some PSX rom I couldn’t see the files in the rom directory. I went to Core menu imagining I would need to change cores but I simply couldn’t find any cores there, not even Snes9x, although I can still play Snes roms. It’s simply empty. (Then I realized I’m running Snes9x Next without ever had to select it in Core menu.)

I’ve already purged my installation and installed it again, could see all the cores being installed but I simply can’t run then.

Sorry if it’s some stupid simple thing I couldn’t think of. I am a 1+ year Ubuntu user but just a light user. I also had RetroArch running PSX games some time ago in Ubuntu 13.10 but I’m simply clueless now. Some hours google searching didn’t do the trick either =/

if you can’t see any cores but you know you installed them, your paths are probably messed up. Go into settings > paths settings and make sure your cores directory is set to /usr/lib/libretro. Also, for PSX, make sure your system directory is setup with your BIOS images.

Thank you, hunterk! Core directory was set to “None”. Changed that and can see all of the cores now.

But Mednafem PSX is crashing now. I’ve set system directory to ~/.config/retroarch/bios, put some bios there but loading .cue for any game results in RetroArch crashing without any error message.

Any clues?

Usually, it’s either because the BIOS isn’t correct (bring up the core info and it will tell you if your BIOS is correct and found) or because the cue sheet is wrong (usually because it was written for a case-insensitive file system, such as Windows’ NTFS).