Cant Switch Controllers with RA?

I need some help. I no longer have the controller RA recognized the first time it loaded, and now I cant use a substitute. It says “controller not configured”. Cant use the controller in menus or in games. Have tried tinkering with settings, input and configuration menus to no avail. I tried reinstalling but it doesnt recognize the controller even then.

First controller was an xbox 360 current is a ps3 both usb.

Try to provide as much detail as possible when describing fixes Im really new to emulators.

Thanks!

Have you tried going to the Online Updater in the RA menu and downloading the autoconfig files? Once you have done this, ensure that your directory settings are pointing to the correct autoconfig folder.

I downloaded the autoconfig files, which settings do you mean? The settings under directory seem to all be pointing to the right folders.

Is there any way to do a clean install of RA so it loses all of its settings and It will configure a first controller again?

You can try to turn off autoconfig in input settings and go to user 1 input and select bind all, does retroarch recognize the button presses of your controller when you do that?

I wasnt able to make the ps3 controller work, so I went to walmart and bought a new xbox 360 controller. Problem is, they only had a pro ex controller, and it works with retroarch but its buggy as hell, quits working often and I have to connect it a few times for it to be recognized again. I also keep getting an error message on my desktop that says the driver for the controller failed. Not sure if the problem is windows (7) or RA or both.

Any thoughts?

Personally I just set all my controllers up in Xpadder, and then set RetroArch’s inputs to match that. That way I can pop any controller in/out and any given moment and keep going. Just like you could on actual consoles.

I never have any issues since the keyboard is always recognized.

I know it doesn’t necessarily address the current problem, but I like to throw that option out there since it works so well and most people don’t even consider it given the native controller support.