CD games issues

I downloaded Retroarch from the Play Store on my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Android 4.1.2. After a few tweaks and a bit of luck I managed to have it work correctly, so now it runs perfectly fine, I can play games with my bluetooth gamepad, load/save, etc.

I’m having though quite a few problems loading CD games on older consoles. PS1 games work perfectly, but I tried to run Popful Mail and Ys Book I & II both in a cue/bin format, I just have a loading screen for a few seconds and then it goes back again to the main menu. The issue can’t be the ROM/ISO since the game both load correctly on Robert Broglia’s emulators for Android with the correctly configured BIOS (I can’t go past the Sega screen on Popful Mail 'cause MD.emu doesn’t have a workaround for it as of now). The problem isn’t the Genesis/Turbografx core either for it runs other non-CD ROMs. Also there’s a video on Youtube of someone running Popful Mail on Retroarch with the Genesis GX core on its Ouya, and given that Ouya runs under Android it should work on mine too. What am I missing here? Should I put the BIOS inside the Retroarch folder too (where is it by the way? I can’t find it nowhere on my phone even by showing hidden files)? I hope you have an answer, for I’m dying to play Sega/Mega CD games on my phone…

BIOS files need to go into the ‘system’ directory, which you should be able to specify in your path settings. The RetroArch folder is /data/data/com.retroarch or something like that.

Well it worked by simply putting the right ones in the same directory where the ROM are. For users experiencing the same problem: you should have the .bin version of the BIOS (you can easily find the full pack by searching on Google) and the files should have these exact names: bios_CD_E.bin (European Mega CD BIOS) bios_CD_U.bin (US Sega CD BIOS) bios_CD_J.bin (Japanese Mega CD BIOS) After that games should work like breeze.