Certain N64 Games audio/frame rate studder

Just installed 1.0.0.2 onto my Win 8.1 5010U i3 Brix/NUC. I find most games run great except for a handful of N64 games. I get random frame/audio studder in star fox, goldeneye, and Star Wars pod racer. Would this be due to the 5010U 2.1 ghz processor? Or is there a tweak I can try to smooth out gameplay? SW Pod Racer’s menu sound is very distorted in particular. I have the internal resolution (core options) set to 1920x1080 (native). I’ve had retroarch on my other main PC and never ran into these issues in the past. Would upgrading to one of the nightly builds help? Thanks for any help!!

1 Like

Ran into it again today in SW Pod Racer. It’s an audio crackling.

For N64, it could be either CPU or GPU bottlenecks. For CPU issues, switch to faster, less accurate plugins in the core options. For GPU, reduce the internal resolution.

My GPU is the integrated Intel hd 5500. Cpu is running i3 at 2.1 ghz. Thought for sure it would be able to handle 1080p w/ auto plugins for mupen64. Would upgrading to one of the nightly builds help? Or would I still get bottlenecks?

Newer versions are generally better for various reasons, but I don’t know that speed is going to be one of them in this case. Maybe backup your old installation and give a nightly a try, though.

I understand thanks. Just a quick question, how much of an effect would system RAM play? I have 4 GB currently.

This is hardly a scientific comparison, but I run my htpc and emulators on a Brix Pro i7 (Iris graphics) with only 4gb RAM and everything runs fine. I don’t have an i3 Brix on hand to compare performance, though.

I didn’t even see that question until snarfo67 replied, but yeah, RAM makes very little difference. As long as your system has enough to load the game in the first place, it won’t make an ongoing difference. RetroArch works on some very RAM-constrained platforms and the only ill effect is an inability to load very large ROMs.

I was playing Pod Racer today on a desktop core i5@4GHz with an nvidia 770 and 16GB RAM: sound stutters. So don’t bother upgrading for that!

Update: I ended up upgrading a couple months ago to the slightly better i5 version of the nuc, the 5250U. This, along with changing the internal resolution to 720p, helped my studder problems.