CG shaders on MacOS

Hi everyone,

Finally decided to join the community, so here goes my first post:

I’ve used Retroarch on and off for a while but I still considered myself a newbie. I’m hoping to put together a bit of a (live) MacOs Retroarch for dummies. The software is amazing but the depth of options and settings can scare some people off, which is a real shame (the more people using the software the better!). Anyway, the first thing I’m trying to get my head around is the use of shaders. The only thing know is that there are two types of shaders but most new releases seem to be published only as CG (e.g. http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6577).

I’ve tried using CG shaders on my Mac (MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Late 2013 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, MacOS Sierra) and they simply won’t work. I can get the GLSL ones to work (most of them) but I only get a black screen when selecting CG shaders.

I’ve done as much research as I can but there’s really not much clear information about shaders and the MacOS platform. I’ve tried installing the Cg Toolkit (https://developer.nvidia.com/cg-toolkit) without any luck.

So I’m wondering if it’s possible to use CG shaders on a Mac or to easily convert them to GLSL ones. I’m hoping to add anything that I can learn here to my MacOS guide for dummies.

Thank you!

Awesome, thanks for all the info. I noticed a SLANG folder on the nightly version which contains a lot a shaders (visible using Finder). However they don’t seem to be accessible via Retroarch itself? What format would you recommend to use at this stage?

Does anyone know where Retroarch saves the log information on MacOS? I’ve been trying to use the Analog Shader Pack (v2 and v3) and the program keeps crashing. Most of the CG shaders that come ‘pre-installed’ work fine (some also crash the app). Any ideas?

I’ve tested those same shaders on a 2010 old Mac running Windows 7 (BootCamp) and, apart from some performance issues, the shaders loaded ok :frowning:

Hey HumanFLy, I’m a Mac OS user, so I’m having the issues that you have when trying to load the Analog Shaders in the Analog Shader pack. I’m confident Solid will find a way to make those work under MacOS as well.