Change default controller mappings, separate menu/game controls?

I’ve noticed that the default RetroArch mappings for any controller (I use an Windows XBOX controller and a PS3 controller via bluetooth) sets the right button (B on the Xb, O on the PS3) as the select button and the bottom button as the back button.

I wish to change these so the bottom button selects and the right button goes back - in the menus only.

If i change a binding, it changes it for the cores also. If I do per core binding, the menu seems to always switch to the last used core’s binding. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, that helps one issue. Now I’m trying to change the default bindings per core (specifically, shift the nes bindings one button to the left). I read that I need to disable save on exit and enable per core configuration, but when I change those settings, save the current config, and restart, those options are back to defaults. And my menu_ok and menu_cancel bindings also revert. Any ideas why?

I’ve eventually figured it out.

Enable per core settings > Open NES Game > F1 > Controls > (Modify Controls) > Save Core Remap File