Change names of games in a playlist?

Hello !

When I scan a folder to create a playlist for the Neo Geo, the game names appear as .zip files in the folder.

For example for the game Viewpoint it is displayed -> viewpoin whereas I would like it to be displayed -> Viewpoint in the playlist as well as all the other games.

How to do ? Greetings :slight_smile:

There is a rename option on each menu item in you playlist. Or you should use the autoscan feature which will try to identify the name automatically. If it is a large list of games use autoscan. Having the right name will also allow the right art to be downloaded. Art is based on the name property, not the filename. At least from what I have seen.

Hello unfortunately the NeoGeo games are named like the MAME games I don’t want to rename them one by one it’s too long.

I saw the possibility of using DAT files but I can’t generate them ? How to do ?

Greetings

You don’t generate the DAT files yourself. You can find them online, like this: https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/blob/master/dats/FinalBurn%20Neo%20(ClrMame%20Pro%20XML%2C%20Neogeo%20only).dat

However, the new Geolith neogeo core has a normal database, so as long as your ROMs are in the *.neo format, it will scan them into a playlist just like any regular console (e.g., S/NES)

Hello OK but the names of the games are unreadable, they are abbreviations, they don’t go in my playlist… how can I get the full names please ?

do a manual scan using the dat file that @hunterk linked for you above.

2 Likes

Hello I used the DAT file thank you but in my playlist I have weird names (see screenshot):

For example for Metal Slug it is named Metal Slug 2 - Super Vehicle-001/II (NGM-2410 ~ NGH- 2410) why ??? How can I remove all these unnecessary indications for me ?

Greetings

you can rename entries from the menu if you wish.

OK but that’s not the goal there are too many games to rename by hand I would like automatic tonight ?!

I respectfully disagree. :grin:

I never use databases or dat files and always do a manual scan.

It let’s me freely name my roms to anything I desire. I also create all my own 3D thumbnails and often icons and content-icons. (100% of the time I at least have to rename my icons.)

In emulation, as in life, you get out what you put in.

You only have to do it once. :wink:

3 Likes

OK super but how did you manage to avoid renaming by hand ?!

I didn’t. I renamed all my roms, created matching named 3D thumbnails, icons matching the folder name, and did a manual scan without a dat.

In my case it is easier for me to do it this way because of the hundreds of hours I spent in the past creating 3D boxart that already matches the names of my roms.

It is all part of the R&D I do for each generation of my HTPC.

I want as much control over the end result as I can get. Time and effort are the only way to make it perfect.

I try to get at least 3Dbox, boxfront, screenshot, title shot, and gameplay vids for all of my roms. It is a lot of work but I only have to do the work once.

With these assets I have what I need for any front end I choose.

Renaming the names of a few games in a playlist file seems like small work compared to manually creating missing xml description files for 1000’s of random roms. :innocent:

2 Likes

There is a surprising simple solution without renaming files or playlist entries. RetroArch can display names with automatically hiding parts of titles by cutting parts involving “[ ]” and “( )”. The playlist still contains all information and is not changed, only how RetroArch displays the playlist in the GUI. You can set it per playlist (and switch the view back to before the change, without re-scanning or renaming).

Open RetroArch > Settings > Playlists > Manage Playlists > {playlistname} . Now you can change Label Display Mode from “Show Full Labels” to “Remove () and []”.

Screenshot_20240328_074014

3 Likes

OK thank you very much it works :star_struck:

I tried .mp4 video files in Named_Snaps folder but it doesn’t work ?! Why are these files not supported by RetroArch ?!

Nobody to answer me ???

Maybe because there is no real question to answer to. It’s not supported, because nobody added the support as nobody seem to think it was necessary. Adding support for new graphics format is one thing, but something completely different like video format is another. This would complicated the code a lot, because RetroArch is for many operating systems and hardware (it runs everywhere). There are a lot of other features or core updates that needs to be done for lot of systems, new cores come in, new games are supported. There is a place where you can ask for new features at Development Suggestions . However don’t expect it being added, especially if there is a lot of work and uncertainty involved.

I’m not against the idea to support videos, in fact it would be nice. I’m not a RetroArch developer, so my reply is just my opinion and what I think.

1 Like

OK thank you for your answer I understand :slight_smile:

I have the same problem with my question on Android & Core Multi (Mess) regarding adding a virtual keyboard… should I make the suggestion ?

You should make suggestions only after you are sure its not a bug or user error. Otherwise it gets flooded. As for your question on the other post, I don’t know if Mess supports virtual keyboards on smartphones. So at this time I cannot advice or against it to make suggestions. But from my knowledge, MESS is no longer provided as a separate core in RetroArch: Softwarelist Getting Started According to this documentation, I assume you use RetroPie or (Edit: sorry I missed the part with Android, RetroPie does not run on Android I think ) an old version of the core in RetroArch?

If nobody response, then maybe it got overlooked or people don’t know (or have time to investigate), especially if it falls under a niche category. Also you should provide some more information, in example about your setup and versioning and logs, so its easier to understand and help you: Generating Logs Usually logs are mostly useful on a bug or problem, but in this case it would help to understand some versions and details.

There is a Discord group that is a little bit active. So you might want to ask quick questions there (if you use Discord, link taken from their homepage at RetroArch):

1 Like