Cheat file causes half of games to crash in MAME

I’m using MAME2016 core and whenever i put the “cheats.7z” file in the system folder (mame2016/cheat.7z) about half of the games crash the emulator. It’s completely random which games will load and which ones will crash. Especially with NeoGeo games. Once i delete the cheat file from the folder, all games load normally.

So what’s the problem with the cheat file? How am i going to make this work? Cheats are kind of important for MAME imo.

Do you have a mean’s to try that cheats file with standalone MAME 0.174? I ask in hopes of determining whether it’s an issue with the core or the cheats.

Ok here’s an update.

All this time i was using cheat files from version 0.154 and 0.168. But now i am using the cheat file from version 0.182 and all the games i tried so far load without crashing. Seems there are some differences in the xmls.

Here’s an example of a different line in androdun.xml (Andro Dunos):

0.168: temp0 =maincpu.mw@00E190

0.182: temp0 =maincpu.rw@00E190

You can see there is a difference in maincpu line, one is “mw” and the other is “rw” I don’t know why it’s so sever that made the whole thing crash. Did they make some big change in the way MAME reads cheats during this period?

Seems to work now thought, it’s all that matters.

Have you tried the ‘official’ MAME 2016 cheat file https://github.com/libretro/mame2016-libretro/tree/master/metadata

I’m hoping to make sure that one works. There definitely have been a number of format changes to MAMEs metadata formats over the years.

Seems like it’s working fine.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Since your post I have been thinking about how the existence of these cheat files in the github repos is not documented anywhere. I’ll see if I can make the information more accessible.