Cheats on Higan and Mesen-S

Cheats seem to work on bsnes and snes9x, but not on higan and mesen-s. Is this normal? They both have cheat menus, but the same cheats seem to work fine on bsnes or snes9x either do nothing at all, or make the game stop working. Am I doing something wrong?

Cores have to support the libretro memory access interface for cheats (and also achievements, IIRC) to work. Higan, I know, would be very difficult to hook this up.

That’s cool. Thanks. I understand very little of that, but I’m assuming from what you’re saying that the cheats are part of retroarch and not the core itself, and having a cheat menu is no indicator of whether or not cheats work for the core. There’s only like one or two games I use cheats on anyway. I can use bsnes mercury if I absolutely have to. Doesn’t really seem to be much of a difference between bsnes and higan other than a couple of menu things.

How can you Check if a Core works with the libretro memory access interface for cheats?

There’s no simple way. You can look at the source or just try something like cheats/achievements and see if they work. The docs site for the cores will usually list whether those things work for a core, as well.

1 Like