Collection of Sega Genesis Multiplayer remaps for Xbox 360 controller

I went through and made game remaps for most (if not all) of the 4 Way Play and Team Player (multi player adapters = enabled by default) for the Sega Genesis. It was quite a task - changing a setting many times didn’t work, so you’d have to save a game remap first, exit, then restart. And, some games need 3 buttons specifically, and some of them need the adapter to be in port 1, and some of them need to be in port 2.

It was a good 10 hours of work to get 80 games working. The remaps are named after HyperSpin database XMLs (similar to No Intro). Includes Sega CD games.

The default controls are (xbox button = genesis button) A=A, B=B, R bumper = C, X=X, Y=Y, L bumper = Z, Right trigger = mode (like it would be on a real 6 button Genesis controller).

If those default controls don’t work for you, and you’re handy in the fine art of file manipulation via ‘find and replace in all files’ with notepad++, have at it. :slight_smile:

Instructions: unzip all of the files to \RetroArch\config\remaps\Genesis Plus GX (or wherever else you put your remaps)

Not sure how useful something this specific may be but it was a lot of work and if I don’t share it, it was a serious waste of life. So, enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsItKU19h3leENPSmpsb2xSYmc/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Nice work. I did something similar for NES, SNES, GENESIS, SEGA CD, though I used config overrides, as it was a bit simpler. What exactly are the changes in these remaps?

1 Like

Pretty much just enabling the 4 Way Play/Team Player for the games that use them.

I figured out early on that if you actually want to play 4 player games with friends, it’s a slight hassle. I’d have to go in the menu, enable it, and it wouldn’t work half the time, unless I went back in the menu, and switched player 1 to 3 buttons, then switched back. Other oddities like that. So I figured I’d just get them all set up, since there’s almost no disadvantage to doing so. The only games adversely affected are NBA Jam and NBA Jam TE, that require you to press start on controller 3 to play a 2 player vs game with this setup.

I considered overrides, but there’s a few issues with overrides I don’t like. I don’t like that overrides do not save changes to the main input settings (I’ve found several reasons to do so - Virtual Boy, N64, any setup where I need to ‘remap’ analogs but support for this is not implemented). You can manually create override files for this, but if you then save a future core or game override, it will delete everything you entered in manually.

For this reason I do not trust overrides, as I can’t help but wonder what other stuff gets deleted/doesn’t work properly. The game remaps seemed like a good solution since I will never deviate from my default Genesis controls.

I just found an issue with remaps and core overrides conflicting with each other.

If you specify in a core remap that you want player 1 and player 2 to be 6 button controllers by default, from then on, core overrides will not override that. You’re screwed if you want to make a core override to change the device for p1 or p2 to ‘keep things clean’ - you will instead have to do game remaps.

So, the obvious solution is to make a core override instead that specifies the device preference for p1 and p2. But if you then want to save a core remap to alter your controls slightly, it will save the ‘core override’ settings (where you changed the device for p1 and p2) and you run into the problem previously described. From then on, core overrides no longer can change the device for p1 and p2.

I don’t see an easy solution to this problem either. I can think of a few scenarios where trying to solve one problem creates another.

1 Like

Thank you for working on this!

1 Like

The way things are now, it’s too easy for conflicts. The best solution I can think of is, when you save a core or game remap file, it should save a core or game override file alongside it exclusively to change the device settings. In other words, device settings should not be stored in the remap files at all.

The device settings should not be alterable from two different places, where one gets absolute priority. If you decide to change a device setting for a core or a game, it should change 1 setting 1 time, and it should always be predictable.

1 Like

Hello,

Google Drive link seems dead, do you still have the zip somewhere ?