Config files can't be transferred?

Why does a config file on one shieldtv work perfectly fine then when transferred to another using the same exact build of retroarch give me the error “failed to save to cfg”??? This makes no sense at all. If I delete it then retroarch makes a new one but without my settings. Then if I delete it and put my transfered one in same error. Yet if I copy it back over my other shieldtv it works perfectly fine.

Could be related to permissions/ownership. Android is particularly weird about that stuff.

Well how do you give it permissions? I certainly never did on my other shield tv. Both of them are rooted as I wouldn’t even be able to access the directories where these files are stored if I wasn’t.

typically in linux, you would change permissions via chmod and ownership via chown. I’m not sure how best to go about it in Android.

It might be easier just to cut/paste the text from your copied cfg and paste the contents into the cfg that was autogenerated.

that was brutal… but I got it all working. Basically my issue is I use hyperspin as a frontend. If I didn’t it wouldn’t be a problem but for some reason hyperspin saves all the config files in a root folder instead of the typical accessible retroarch folder. Then usually not an issue for me but for some reason is acting up on this one device. I had 0 issue moving files on the other. So at any rate, i used the auto generated file that is created when first launching from hyperspin. Once created I left hyperspin and went into retroarch and loaded the created config… if you try to change settings when launching from hyperspin… they do not save. Then changed all the directories to a new non root location… redownloaded everything… put all my custom config / override files in that new directory and yay it worked.

It wouldn’t read anything… a custom core I put in there for n64, bios files, nothing. Very odd but everything is working perfectly now.

yeesh, glad you got it sorted out.

You’d think Google would smarten up and change how the permissions behave in Marshmallow.

I agree but at the same time I don’t understand why hyperspin causes retroarch to use different config files. Even worse causing retroarch to put the config files in retroarchs root folders instead of the default location.