Configuration backup

Hi all,

I like to test LordAshrams last builds, bu I always have to go back to the 05-05-2014 revision of it, because of an issue with my gamepads. My probleme is to re-configure each time Retroarch : Bind controls, Display, audio, rom directory, etc…

I’v already tried to backup “retroarch.cfg” file and “shared_prefs” folder in \data\data\com.retroarch\ but it doesn’t seem to be enough (even useful !)

Can you help me ? Is there another file to backup ?

Thank you for your help !

Nobody ?

up, please !

I use 0918,this is the last build gamepad work for me.Now I use older RA build with newer cores.

you just need unzip the newest build ,copy these cores to your 0505 builds \data\data\com.retroarch\cores dir, take the owner,it should work.

Thanks for your answer. It’s not exactley what I asked but it’s a good idea

Are you still looking for help with the in progress builds?

I’ve got an nv shield and it was doing similar goofy things. Gamepad wouldn’t be auto detected, wouldn’t save settings, and the history list wouldn’t work either.

For the history file, just create a file called “retroarch-content-history.txt” in the /data/data/com.retaroarch/ directory and make sure it’s read/write.

After that, the joysticks and gamepads aren’t working because a line in the retroarch.cfg file points to /autoconfig/android/… unfortunately, that directory is empty. I guess it’s a work in progress, but turns out that all of the regular gamepad configs are in the /autoconfig/ directory. I corrected the config but you might just as easily just copy all of the gamepad cfg files into the /autoconfig/android/ directory, and your gamepads will probably be auto detected and work again.

The last part is getting the config to not randomly change. I only half succeeded on that. I went line by line through the retroarch.cfg file fixing any problems I could find, and adjusting the settings by hand with a text editor. After that, using es (root) explorer, I took ownership of the config file and set it to read only and so far it hasn’t lost any settings.

One problem I still have, are the settings listed in /shared_prefs/com.retroarch_preferences.xml. That file seems to control the settings that are listed when you get into the preferences menu. It turns out that if you have a read only retroarch.cfg file, it will sorta override some of the incorrect settings, but I haven’t been able to get that preferences file to not get all goofy. So on mine, if you go into settings, it does randomly uncheck the custom save state and save games directories box, but it does actually still use them. Not great, but I like the additional options of the newer build.

If you decide to mess around with it again, hope this helps.

Thanks for your help Darthskids,

I have no time at the moment to test, but i think my main problem is the gamepad binding (because he’s not correctly autodetected, even in previous revisions of retroarch) and I suppose the binds are stored in a config file, but i didn’t catch the exact link between the preferences.xml file and the retroarch.cfg file.

I’ll keep you inform

ok, i ve found something useful to avoid binding all the gamepad each time and get rid of the overlay :slight_smile:

after having bind all the buttons in the RGUI, click on 'save new config". it will create a retroarch-date-.cfg file in the data\data\com.retroarch.com folder. copy this file to a full read and write folder of your choice like your sdcard. edit the file with any text editur, find the line input_overlay and edit it :input_overlay = “false” then at each startup, you just click on “configuration” in the rgui and select your cfg file !!

it works perfectly with the 28-11 lordashram release ! now we just have to find how to load this cfg file automatically hope it will help somebody !