Configuring an N64 USB Controller with Steam Link

Hello,

I have recently bought a SNES and N64 usb controller and am trying to use them with RetroArch on Windows 10 through Steam Link.

The SNES controller seems to work fine out of the box - all buttons were mapped correctly when I plugged it in instead of the XBOX 360 controller that I normally use. For the N64 controller however, some parts were mapped correctly (like the D-pad and the analog stick), while others were not (the A, B and C buttons for example).

Since up to now I’ve always used an XBOX 360 controller only, I’m not very familiar with the way to configure different controllers for different cores and remapping buttons, so I’m not sure how to fix this… I am not sure whether I should try to reconfigure the buttons in the input options of the mupen64plus core or in the general Input menu under Settings (and if it’s the latter, whether it is possible to save different configurations for different cores, since I will only be using the N64 controller with mupen64plus). Or could it be that I would actually need to reconfigure Steam Link instead of Retroarch to solve the issue?

I realise this is a pretty basic question but I’ve not been able to find an answer that I could use, so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

if you’re only going to use it with mupen64plus-libretro, just use a remap with that core.

Thank you!

I tried messing around with the core input options and was mostly able to figure things out, but some buttons on the controller remained unresopnsive no matter what. Then after some more looking around, I found this list:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/1473096694452098426/

according to which N64 USB controllers are actually incompatible with Steam Link… which would explain why the buttons don’t work. it’s a shame, but I guess I’ll just have to play my N64 games without Steam Link then!

1 Like